Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who reads your work and gives you feedback?

edited March 2016 in Writing
Who do you ask to look over your work? I wrote and rewrote my first chapter before I turned off my inner editor and just got on with a few more chapters. They're nowhere near done at the mo, and won't be until I do a second draft. But I've gone back over my first one a few times and polished it a little. (It's very short, about 200 words, so didn't take long). I'd like to get feedback on that first chapter, to see if my writing flows, if the tone works, etc. But my husband isn't a reader in general, and would just say 'that's good' or 'it could be better' and that would be that. No constructive criticism. My 12 year old daughter read it and said she loved it, but then she would say that!

As it's my first attempt, I feel I would benefit from some feedback at this stage, so that I don't continue in the same style and tone if it doesn't work. But I'm not sure who best to ask. I figured most people here would have people that they ask for feedback, and might have some suggestions of who would be best to ask.

Comments

• There are lots of online (and real life) writing groups where you can ask for feedback. Usually you'll be expected to offer the same service to other writers in return.
  • It's difficult, isn't it?

I don't have anyone;* I trust my instincts. Like your daughter, mine is always brimming with positivity, but that's daughters for you!

What works for some writers is a reciprocal arrangement. There are plenty of writing sites where people are willing to give feedback - Goodreads, for example. I have sometimes done it as a favour for people, but it can become tedious if their work demands a lot of editing and you need to spell out what doesn't work.

*example of semi-colon!
  • It works well if the work you're reading is also a genre you write. I've learned as much from critting other people's stories as from having them do the same for me.
  • I've done it a lot online for other people, and people do send me pieces when they have a problem they can't quite resolve. A fresh pair of eyes can make a huge difference.
  • Yes, impartial and detached advice is always better than something compromised by association.

I often wonder if I'm too harsh and cringe when I click 'send' but, without fail, the recipients appreciate being taken seriously. Friends and family do not usually offer good feedback.
  • It works well if the work you're reading is also a genre you write. .
    That goes for professional stuff you are reading, too... read the very best examples of what you write.

My husband is a good critic, and of course poetry isn't that long so it's not too much of a bind to ask him. He is very blunt - 'not charming', bit clunky at the end, i don't understand that bit... i like this, prefer it to yes, it's great.

My daughter used to help.

Sometimes my son will read something I've written and occasionally REALLY likes it. in fact asked if he could show one of his friends a while ago, but I can't recall which poem it was... Other times he's not so keen...

I'm lucky in that they are well-read and read with a degree of proper criticism.

Other than that I have a whole plethora of poet friends who are only too keen to crit anything I post on FB, which can be a great help.

Also, people here, also a great help. Except when they all disagree, which has happened, in which case I either go with the one that agrees with me, or he one that has pointed out s flaw I was trying to ignore, or realise that although nothing is quite wrong, nothing is quite right either, and it needs an overhaul.

• Thanks everyone. I will check out Goodreads. I am always happy to take a look at other people's work and offer feedback, so would be happy to set up a reciprocal arrangement with someone. It's mainly just this first chapter I want looking at really. I'll have a google and see what I can find.

Tiny Nell, thank you for that semi-colon demo :D
  • edited March 2016
    At the U3A writing group that I lead, in addition to the run-of-the-mill homework readings, I've introduced a slot for people to submit specific pieces up to 1000 words for criticism and advice. I circulate the work to the rest of the group a couple of days before the meeting. We've had two of these sessions so far and they seem to have been well received, with the writers pleased with the feedback.

(See, I'm not just a pretty face!)
  • That sounds like a very helpful group, sm, and the word limit is a good idea. At one writers' group meeting a new recruit read his turgid stuff for half an hour, and our leader didn't have the balls to stop him!
    My Tenerife daughter reads mine, and has learned with me to criticise positively. Now we have to do it my email and Skype, which isn't nearly as good as unravelling knots over a glass of wine.

• (See, I'm not just a pretty face!)
    I don't recall us ever accusing you of anything even remotely like that ... :D
  • I need a good critic to help me with my story. I too will check out Goodreads.
  • Quick word of warning about posting on writing forums and such for critiques some people are totally brutal for no real reason den if what you've written is good so be careful, I always try to get a professional to check and critique my stuff.
  • edited April 2016

This morning I read Chapter 1 of my novel to my small, very select ( :) ) writers'circle, (not my U3a lot) and they've asked me to email the rest a chapter at a time for feedback
  • Well done, sm. We've always enjoyed your work.
  • I bet they'll devour it!
  • Oh, SM, how wonderful. You got 'em!
  • edited April 2016
    Trouble is, I'll have to write it now instead of talking about it. I have a 25000 word start so I'll have to try and keep in front :O
  • There you go. Motivation. :))
  • That's fantastic snailmale :)
  • About time someone else kicked you into getting your finger out, sm. Gods know, we've tried for long enough.
  • That's good snailmale :-) Sounds like it will be very useful.