Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A ROOM WITH A VIEW

edited March 2016 in Writing
Room with a view.

At the moment the sky is a beautiful blue and lots of fluffy white clouds, the clichéd idea of sky that water colourists give us but is actually rare.
There is a building site, too. Bright yellow painted cranes dip, dip, dip, all day, scooping up earth and rubble. After a while they take on the appearance of giant feeding birds.

Comments

• Love your cranes description. Is this a view from a room in your house, Bill?
  • edited March 2016
    yes. concrete blocks and roads full of parked cars.
  • We lived opposite a building site for a year in Tenerife, Bill. Watching the men working with scant regard for health and safety was a daily adventure!

The view from my flat is a courtyard bounded by the white walls of the other mews flats, but there is a gap through which we can see trees and sunsets.
  • At the moment the sky is a beautiful blue and lots of fluffy white clouds, the clichéd idea of sky
    It's not a cliché if you're living downunder, Bill. You'll have to visit. Do you still have relatives in Australia?
    Love your cranes description.
    Absolutely. Great 'wordsmithery'.

• Now, look here, Bill, we can't have people coming in here and actually writing interesting prose. It might put off the people who are here to have a rest from that sort of thing. Or who never manage it at all. they can be very sensitive, easily disheartened.
  • ;))
    I was hoping to get some inspired ideas and views from TB er’ windows.
    Come to think of it, it might be a good OWC at some future date.
    Speaking of ‘wordsmithery’
    I rather like wordsmithery.
    I would love to visit, IG. Tris is still there, with a job at the Commonwealth Bank in Sidney.

The view earlier was grey wet tarmac with parked cars, like pets, obediently waiting for their drivers. No 6’s hasn’t moved for a week - must be away. No 8 is out. No 10 has a succession of expensive cars and I speculate on how he can afford them.
  • I can't write 'wordsmithery' descriptions to match yours Bill, but if you're looking to inspire us to describe what we see from our windows, I can tell you today I noticed a robin bobbing around my garden.

What I particularly noticed about him was his legs were really long! He was a tall robin. Usually the robins in my garden are short and squat.

• All robins have long legs - perhaps he was just sprightly with spring?
  • Or the grass in dora's garden is usually very long?

The view from my window right now is of bright sunshine on the wall of the flat opposite, plus a wedge of blue sky. Birds are singing - mostly a blackbird.
  • LizLiz
    edited April 2016
  • Well, I've moved my writing space to upstairs. I'm in a very calm room with white-painted wood and lavender walls. Through the window, I can see the tops of the trees in the wood opposite. The branches are criss-crossed, as if they're a tree family holding hands. The white sky fills the spaces between. The silence is punctuated by birdsong.
  • I can see young ivy leaves growing, but they look a little pale at the moment like they'd had a bad night.

Next to that the cotoneaster, it's branches wobbling in the breeze. There are still a few berries, but now all the thin stems are dotted with green leaf blobs.

Although I like the sunlight slanting into the space outside my window, I hate the reminder that the outside of the windows need cleaning to wash away the muddy spore-like blobs splattered by wind and rain the last few months.

• Beelieve it or not, there are two fat bees bashing about the blossom of the Forest Flame bush opposite my window (just practising some alliteration! :) )

Seriously, I thought bees didn't appear until much later. It's not even warm and the sky is grey with clouds...wot's going on?

• They are the scouting party, Seaview. :)
  • Some solitary bees will come out to take advantage of early flowers and tree pollen. Primroses, bluebells... violets!
  • A big furry bee bumped into my office window a couple of times yesterday- not long after I'd read the thread. :)
  • There was a mmmmmmmmassive one trying to get in my front door when I arrived home.
  • It was lovely in my garden this afternoon. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, a bee was buzzing, and I was digging chicken poo into one of my raised beds.