Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Blogging Style

edited April 2016 in Writing
While I have read numerous blogs, I'm wondering what style of blog do you think works and reasons why?

Comments

• How long's a piece of string? The only answer is to write what you want to say, in the way you feel happiest saying it.
    Some blogs (mine!) are wordy; others are short and to the point. Some use lots of illustrations, others don't use any. Some use all the gadgets and gizmos that their blogsite of choice provides, while others don't tinker in case it breaks something. (That would be me, then.)
    Of all the ones you read, do any stick with you? Did any one of them make you think you'd learned something, or had a laugh or a cry, or been inspired?
    Blogging is really an extension of the writer's personality. Nobody knows what they're doing when they start out; they all wing it. After all, it's a place where an individual writes whatever they have to say, hoping that someone out there will read it. It's a way to communicate with an unknown audience, or no-one at all.
    Got to try it to find out!
  • You can tell immediately if someone can write. Or if they're blagging blogging.

I read an incredibly long blog on the A-Z the other day because it was incredibly well written and I couldn't stop reading.

Other blogs I start and know that the author couldn't write their way through a get well card without killing the recipient.
  • Whatever you write, I think it has to come from the heart and be genuine. I've read so many flat and transparent blogs that just jump on whatever the latest 'trend' is, yet are popular for reasons I don't understand. After a while, the 'Unfollow' button beckons. I sense you're hoping to gain more followers? I've re-invented my blog time and time again in the past, and read every bloggy 'How to' in the hope of gaining more followers. In the end you've just got to write what you need to say without worrying who's reading it, because it's your outlet for your genius creativity ;)
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks MrsBear, Liz and Karen. I'm hoping to gain more followers, but the blogs I have going are just not working for me at the moment. They are also stopping me from doing what I came onto this website for in the first place: my novel. That's what I want to do. That's what I want to write, but I feel that the small amount of free time that I do have is taken up with writing posts or reading other blogs. Don't get me wrong, I do find others interesting but writing my own blogs has become a chore.

I've lost my own writing in the process, the thing that I had to do, and I can't seem to get it back. Perhaps 400-500 word posts aren't the way forward. Perhaps my topics aren't right, either.
  • You worry too much, Doglover.

Just write to please yourself and the rest will work itself out.

Rome wasn't built blah blah blah...
  • Thanks, snailmale.

You got me summed up there.
  • A blog post should ideally be about 100 words long. and don't have more than one blog, that's madness - I'm doing three blog posts a day at the minute to schedule for one blog and it takes me all day. The shorter it is the more interesting in my opinion! But to be honest there's no point in having a blog if you have nothing to sell - in your case, I'd get on with the novel.
  • You're right, Liz. That is what my gut is telling me to do at the moment as well.
  • edited April 2016
    I tried running a couple of different blogs for the different things I was interested in. I was constantly trying to think up post ideas, take photos, comment on other blogs just to drive traffic to mine etc. I was getting obsessed with gaining followers and trying to mimic similar blogs who were very popular but in the end my content was empty waffle. Plus I had no time for anything else. In the end I brought them together into one blog, deleted the cr@p, and now it's just a 'me' blog where I post from time to time about anything that takes my fancy and I don't give two hoots any more who does or doesn't read it. Unless you want to make money from your blog by selling ad space or reviewing stuff, just treat it as an extension of your writing practise. If it feels like a chore, it is. Writing snippets here and there is absolutely fine. People with all the time in the world to write their lengthy popular blogs do not have a novel niggling at them to be written!
  • edited April 2016
    *duplicate post deleted!*
  • edited April 2016
    It's nice to know that what you said about your own blogs before is how I'm feeling now. I think I am far too concerned with it that it has become my main focus when it was meant to be extra to help promote me as a writer. I'm not deleting the blogs yet, as I don't know what to do with them. Perhaps it may be that I transfer them to all one blog; it might be that I delete them and not blog at all. My New Year's resolution was to finish my novel, and I have written a lot since the beginning of the year. I'm going to focus on that and not worry so much about everything else. Thanks, Karen.
  • Doglover, stop promoting yourself and get back to the writing that's in your heart. You don't have to delete the blogs: you don't have to add to them either. You're spending too long worrying about them.
    I liken it to the schoolchild who spends hours on the cover, but doesn't get round to the content of the project. Your novel is the whole point, surely - can't promote something that doesn't yet exist.
    One of the things about writing is that we find all manner of reasons not to do it - even though it's the one thing we exist to do. Many, many writers are guilty of that, both published and otherwise. We have to tune out the 'I must just check TB/add to my blog/see what the online news is' voice, and listen only to the characters who are shouting out to us for their existence.
    The reason your blogs aren't working is because they aren't what you need to do, and they are hollow until that novel is written. You know they are a way of procrastinating, even though you think you ought to do them because everyone says you should have a blog...
    What you should have is a novel! So forget the rest, and just write.
    If anyone here can help, you know you only have to ask.

• Strike a balance with promoting yourself and writing. I may not have a novel out there, but through blogs, social media, and conventions I've landed myself places in a few anthologies, all of which will help the writing AND promoting side of things for my career :) Nothing wrong with promoting from the get go. You're a writer because you write, not because you have a novel out there.
  • Agreed, b-r, but DL is having trouble balancing the two, and is finding blogging unsatisfying, so I think it's best to concentrate on the novel for now.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks boredrobots and Mrs Bear. This place is really helpful and supportive.
  • I have to say, of all the things I write, blogging is my least favourite. I have no idea how people come up with ideas, or have the time to regularly post. I also wonder how interested readers actually are in blogs which are not specific, like mine.Therefore, it's at the bottom of my writing list; I only pop back to it after long breaks. In all honesty, I don't read many blogs either. The only ones I'll dip into are those of TBers.

I'm better at posting the odd comment on FB or Twitter.

I completely agree with the advice given. If you have a book to write, that's what your focus should be. That's your dream, not writing a blog.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks, TN.

The blogs and the chore of having to post every week was drowning out the chatter my characters were making that I couldn't hear them any longer.

This afternoon I've allowed them to start speaking again. I need to see this journey with the two of them to the end, so they are my main priority at the moment.

If anyone has any advice or help with how to write contemporary women's romance, please let me know. I would really like some help and advice on it, as I want to finish it this year. I'm already up to page 159 with 47,000 words.
  • I have 4 blogs. I don't think that combining them would make any sense. People who read the womagwriter one probably won't be interested in my campervanning adventures and those who follow the one about free to enter writing competitions might not want to wade through my gardening pictures to find the links they want.

None of these feel like a chore. If/when any of them do, I'll discontinue them.
  • Ah, right-oh, Phots - that'll be why I'm completely flummoxed on your blog cos I must have seen at least two different ones!

Anyway, on the topic... I recently came across this article: http://writetodone.com/?s=new+style+blog+writing

Which basically claims that nowadays you have to write your blog in the style of copywriting. I am toying with blogging a response to this because I find when I read blogs adhering to said style it reads flimsy and unsatisfying. And, may I sound incredibly prejudice here for one second, it feels very American (as in, commercial/branded/salesy). Sorry Americans reading this! But you do generally live in a more branded culture than us Brits.

However, there is a lesson to be taken from this. My feeling is that mixing it up might work better. I think it could be a good thing for writers to learn a bit of copy style to draw readers in and get to the point, rather than rambling, but I also think it needs to lead to meatier content in order to get reader satisfaction.

I understand these days it's easier to read simple copy when on the fly, but it also infiltrates the internet with a culture of dumbing down and turning everything into a sales pitch, which goes against the very thing that made blogging so popular and successful in the first place. (Usual story- get a good thing and then the money arrives and ruins it). How many times have you read a blog article with a great headline online to find it didn't really provide you with anything worth learning about? Or it could have gone much further, but didn't?

So, I'm for taking a stand against this idea, to a degree. Yes, make it more gripping from the outset (and, of course, the main part should continue to do so too), but don't shy away from complex or meaty content, either.

Sorry, waffled a bit there, ironically... :D
  • If a writer's blog is, even in part, to promote them as a writer then I think it makes sense for them to use their normal writing style as much as possible.
  • I don't read any sales pitch blogs on the A-z or at any other time either. If you're not going to buy something why on earth would you want to read endless drivel about it.

This is something people (Americans mainly) don't seem to understand at all.
  • Oh, no, the article isn't saying blog adverts/sales pitches. What it says is to adopt a style more akin to copywriting rather than magazine article writing to get readers to read through to the end of the post.

My point is, most posts that adopt this style seem rather flimsy, and I feel somewhat cheated when I get to the end, because it touches on the subject too lightly. Conversely, if the beginning of a post is too chokka and not easy on the eye, it'll lose my attention quickly. That's why I say a combination of both copywriting style and magazine content would be ideal. (For my tastes, at least.)

Incidently, the places adopting this new suggested style do often get high visitor numbers, so it's not instantly dismissable, in my humble, if high numbers is what you are aiming for.

@Phots - I'm not so sure that your blog posts should be in your fiction writing style. Blogging is effectively article writing and a different type of writing that requires a different approach. In saying that, there's no reason it shouldn't be in line with your author *voice* or brand. Your personality will often come through in both, anyway. Or personalities, depending on how many you have ;)

@ Tiny Nell - I quite enjoy blogging as a diversion from fiction writing if I'm dithering on where to go next in the story, or even just to explain writing stuff to myself -- I find it helps me see elements I need to bring in and have overlooked by thinking about writing in an analytical way. Keeping it regular is certainly a challenge. That's when you need guest posts, but if you have a small number of readers it's not the most appealing offer! :( I see the blog as something that will increase the further my writing 'career' (RAOFL) continues, so I don't stress it -- it's there when people want to find me. After all, I want to publish my writing, not be a professional blogger, so have to be careful not to let it take over.
  • Can you post an example, cc?
  • Blogging is effectively article writing
    Not the way I do it ...
  • Nor me..

That's probably why no bugga reads it
  • I started my blog for family and friends who live a long way away or abroad. They keep in touch and up to date with family news via my blog. However, it seems to have gathered others who pop in frequently - haven't a clue who they all are. I take the angle that I'm having a chat with everyone and just dole out my old lady's drivel and views on life. It's nothing to do with writing I have over 100 followers every day. Don't know if this is a big number or not but I don't I know them all. I do a separate website for my writers' group. And in response to the original questions (I did say I was prone to old lady drivel) just be yourself.
  • I've taken a break from blogging now and focusing whole-heartedly on my story.
  • I'm jumping in, but will carry on reading the comments soon.

I have started, restarted, stopped and started a blog. I currently have one going. And in all honesty it is my most successful. I've picked my 'theme' - what I am going to try and write about every time (For me it is crime and mystery), but I am not afraid to veer from it. I also spend an hour or so per month trying to write at least 4 posts, and schedule them. If I get an idea for a post, I write it and schedule it. I have a quick read through, but editing is minimal. I don't blow my own trumpet. I talk about what I write, my opinions and personal challenges etc. but I always open for discussion. No one has commented yet, but my blog is only 1 month old. I check in a few times a day, see how it's going, any comments and just general supervision. But it is not my priority in writing.

When all is said and done, I have started so many blogs because 'I should have one', and this one is there for that reason. But I am more comfortable to go into realms that are for me, and not necessarily publishers. And I have had good feedback too!

So, you need to think why you have the blog. And if it's because you think you should have one, perhaps you need to look at why. I chose crime, as that is my genre. On my blog I test ideas out. What is your genre? I am sure you can come up with loads to blog about!

Or just get rid of it. If you aren't happy with it, and it isn't paying your bills, then it needs to go. But don't write blogging off completely. It might be suitable for you at a later date. It might not, but just because it isn't working out now, doesn't mean you can't try again in the future if you so wish.
  • Hi SneakyOregano. My genres are romance and supernatural romance. I'm not sure how I can blog about those.
  • There is loads you can blog about - I blog about my opinions on crime. I blog about stats, films, books, anything, as long as crime is there. I don't know the trends in your genres, but there must be something.
  • So perhaps about programmes, films and other things linked to my genres?
  • Yes! Exactly that. And then see where that takes you.
  • Do you get many people interested in your blog? Do you add pictures to it?
  • I use Pixabay for pictures. This blog, that I haven't really promoted, has more followers. Not many, but it is only nearly 2 months old.
    But yes, I always use pictures.
  • I've used Pixabay as well. This romance blog sounds more interesting than my three blogs I have up and running. Can I have a link to yours to see what it is like?
  • edited May 2016
    No problem :) Remember, mine is only a baby.
    https://ingridsengerperkinsauthor.wordpress.com/
  • It looks good. It makes me have hope for blogging in the future.
  • Remember, you own the blog, not the other way round. And when you are ready, do share your blog too :)