Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

CafeLit 2016

edited April 2016 in Writing
I couldn't find a 2016 thread, so I've started one!

FOR MIKE OLLEY

CafeLit has started up again. Debz has kindly chosen one of my 100 worders.

http://cafelit.co.uk/100-worder-it's-impossible-to-spell.html
by mike olley April 18

Comments

• One of my 100-worders has been published today:

http://cafelit.co.uk/100-worder-sea-souls.html
  • Good one, Tiny Nell.
  • A few familiar names are being published in The Best of CafeLit 5.

Well done, Team TB!
  • Well done TN, Claudia and Mike - and any other TBers whose real name I didn't recognise!
  • Congratulations Tiny Nell, Claudia and Mike. I am in there as well with "Dead Quiet".
  • Well done kado - didn't know the name!
  • Congratulations, kado, TN, Claudia and Mike Olley.
  • Thanks, Heather.
  • Thanks, Carol.
  • Well done, Team TB indeed - Tiny Nell, Claudia and Kado. It's a nice surprise.
  • I was surprised as well, Mike.
  • So was I! Just happened to see a post on Facebook.
  • I read that the proceeds get shared between contributors. I have never received anything from The Best of... 3 and 4. Has anyone else?
  • No, I never got anything.
  • Well you could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw an e-mail from Cafe Lit about the 2015 Anthology. I genuinely wasn't expecting to get any stories in this one!
    Many congrats too, to Tiny Nell, Mike Olley and Kado.
    Team TB has done it again! =D>

Oh, and not to mention TN's latest contribution... well done that lady.

p.s. no, never received any royalties
  • No, as well.
  • Submitted yesterday evening. Just got a message to say it's up today!
    Gill James is the new editor.

http://cafelitcreativecafe.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/100-worder-pumpkin-soup-with-dash-of.html
  • Congratulations TN. Just read it Love it!
  • Congratulations, TN.
  • Congratulations, TN. Nice little tale!
    I didn't know Gill had taken over from Debz - but that might explain why Debz didn't reply to my last e-mail about the latest anthology.
  • Congratulations, TN.
  • Well done Nell!
  • Congratulations, Tiny Nell.
  • Has it now become just 100 worders?
  • I'm not sure, Carol. It seems as though pieces are only appearing on the blog now. Debz used to tweet enthusiastically, and leave FB links. Writing used to appear on the website too.
  • Have those of you who've been published in previous Cafe lit anthologies ever recieved any statements, sales figures or royalties? It's just occurred to me that I've never seen anything like that and I wondered if I should have.
  • Hahaha, nope.
  • Hmmm. I wasn't expecting any cash, but I'm surprised not to have had any communication from them at all.
  • No, never!
  • No, I never heard anything ever again.

The one I was in a few years ago, I got the e-book version, but not a paperback copy due to the price, and when the next one came out the one I was in stopped being sold. :(
  • They grabbed mine and ran, and I had no idea I was even in there. Seems a very amateurish set up to me.
  • edited October 2016
    No, I've never received any communications regarding sales of the anthologies. I have three stories published in the latest one, but I don't think I've submitted any stories this year so this will probably be the last anthology for me.

To be honest, I don't mind about the non-payment because all the stories began life as OWC entries and I'm just happy that they've ended up going to a wider audience (first on their website and then a few in the anthologies).
  • edited October 2016
    Just looked it up on Amazon, and Cafe Lit 3, which I and other Talkbackers were in, it still available on Kindle and paperback. And the price being asked for some of the second-hand print copies is unbelievable.
  • the price being asked for some of the second-hand print copies is unbelievable.
    I've seen the same thing with some of my books. Second-hand versions being offered for several times the cost of a new one, even though these are readily available. Can't blame the publishers for that one.

• That happens with most books, whether it’s to stop people buying it, or hope someone clicks it with one-click-purchasing by accident, or sometimes it’s because they've set up algorithm pricing to set the price as a percentage (higher or lower) of someone else’s price to make more profit, or to remain competitive. If it its set to be always higher than competition, but so is the competition, they bump each other automatically to silly prices.
  • edited October 2016
    No true, PM.

br the book is still available from Amazon at the original £6 price too.

• I've emailed about the cafelit books.

I don't think it's a case of them not paying money we're owed as I doubt the books sold in large enough quantities to reach minimum royalty amounts, but I do think we should have heard something back.
  • I remember reading somewhere that contributors get payment.
  • br the book is still available from Amazon at the original £6 price too.
    Aye, there's usually the original and the wacky prices when this happens...which makes the wacky prices even wackier!
  • The same people run Bridge House publishing. I was in two of their anthologies but communication was poor and no payment received, presumably because not enough sold but it would have been nice to see sales figures. I did ask but didn't get.
  • I had a reply to my email.

Gist of it is that the anthologies haven't sold in large numbers and authors aren't due any money (this is the cafelit best of books – I don't know about others). I find that totally believable.

• I'm sure it is true. Still think they should give info without being asked. Our own Mutley sends out a quarterly statement for Alfie dog even if no monies are due. That is professional.
  • Thanks for reporting back, PM.

And - yes... what Heather said.
  • The thing I find particularly annoying is that there was no contract sent out with the terms of use before the stories appeared in the publication, just the email saying my story was to be included.

There seemed to be little effort to publicise the books existence, so is it any wonder. But I would like to know the sales figures of both e-book and print.

If I ever want to re-use the story anywhere, I need to know what the terms were.
  • I thought the submission guidelines said the stories might go into an anthology, Carol?

If you've not signed a contract you've not given upany rights other than those stated in the guidelines, so you should be free to use the story(ies) elsewhere if you wish.
  • edited October 2016
    Yes, I knew they could go into the anthology, PM, but assumed there would be some formal paperwork if they did.

The stories are still showing on the blog too if you look under the relevant year, which does limit reuse.
  • My story, George's Independence Day, is published today.

http://cafelitcreativecafe.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Congratulations Kado.
  • Well done, Kado.