Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Current TV Programmes

Comments

• Or twenty
  • I have an alternative ending in my head that could have tied the first film in without hamming the hell out of it, I'll send them an angry letter :P A Steven's Cut DVD would be nice.
  • Was it the sequel to Cloverfield?
  • Aye, technically it ties in all the way through but it only feels like it does with the "reveal" at the end.
  • I might have to watch it. Never tire of Cloverfield.
  • Maybe if I had heard of Cloverfield first then it would have made more sense.
    But then the ending would have been a bit given away, wouldn't it?
    Oh well, can't like 'em all!
  • Oh, yes... that dreadful ending!
  • I have a tellybox now though so far mainly all I have watched is Poldark and that's just to get a glimpse of his Cornwall non coppery bits

Oh yes and Paul O'Grady, I have watched one of his progs, a couple of Corries but not full episodes cos I fell asleep due to no laffs in that prog any more it seems, and a bit of the news.

Too many other things to do. Hardly worth the bother of buying one!
  • edited January 2017
    Baggy Books will remember Alexander Armstrong's programmes about Italy

Extremely interesting programme
  • Watched the one about Venice last night, Dora.
  • There are so many things I have not had time to watch recently, which I REALLY enjoy.

I'm leaving the Channel 4 things on watch-again as they are there forever. 'This is Us', for example. Brilliant.

Then there is Silent Witness (haven't seen any), Lewis, ditto, have seen the last two Paradise murder thingys, last night! as too tired to go to choir, and I still haven't caught up with Sherlock's second part.
  • Never watched amy of those Liz

You may as well be writing in a foreign language
  • Same with me. I am now watching Morse on DVD from series one. Tomorrow I begin The West Wing.
  • We haven't got a record function on our TV - or if we have I don't know as we got it second hand - so we watch whatever's on Freeview. Last night's programme can't have been that good cos I can't remember what it was.
    Must get sone box sets of the UK series I missed over theyears, such as Downton Abbey.
  • Mum and Dad buy box sets, Lizy, and they love them. I bought them Columbo for Christmas. They also buy films from charity shops.
  • I love Columbo. Prefer the earlier ones. We like Modern Family, but didn't have quite enough money this Christmas to get the next box of them - Em normally gets us one but she didn't this year. We watch one through the year and hate it as each box dwindles as we watch them!
  • I've never found anything much worth watching in charity shops. Presumably because people keep the good stuff to watch again.
    I shall have to put box sets on my birthday wish list.
  • I told Mum to look at the cast. If she recognised someone it might be okay. Thus far it's worked. And for £1 - which goes to charity - it's not too risky.

Morse and The West Wing tonight.
  • . . . I am now watching Morse on DVD from series one.
    Not far behind you BB; I recently started watching The Bill from Series One, from DVD boxed sets. Will take a while to get through twenty years worth, but I'll give it a push!

• Sherlock <3 Benedict Cumberbatch is just perfection! I could watch his mouth all day long
  • edited January 2017
    The problem with these super stars - and Benedict Cumberbatch is a good example - the trouble is that they have such a huge presence that I find it difficult to believe in the character. One is always aware of the 'star'.

Alec Guinness, eg, played lots of characters but I was never aware I was watching Alec Guinness. I was totally taken by the character.

Anyone else find this a problem?

• Yep. Although I don't watch Sherlock. Sometimes I think the problem is as much to do with the writing than the actor. Perhaps the roles are written 'for' the actor and not for the plot.

• I watch one episode. Enough. You prob right about the writing.
    A lot of dramas are morphing into the surreal in a bid to out do the rest.
    I am a fan of Endeavor. However, it is a bit 'Holmes' ish with the obscure clues and references, and it, too is written for the main character, but the two main characters wonderfully under act. The period adds interest, too.
  • Because I'm also watching the first series of Morse I can see how the Endeavour writers (and the actor) have brought in references. It doesn't seem OTT.
  • Read a scathing article about Shetlock today. I clearly made the right decision not to watch it.
  • Yep, lots and lots of negative stuff on Twitter.
  • I gave up on Sherlock ages ago. All that muttering, staring into space and grabbing words out of the air. Crap.
  • Got sucked into Bitten and finished series 1. Finally finished watching Humans. I did try Sherlock once, I enjoyed it, then didn't, then did but I haven't gone back to it so many programmes to watch, stream and on dvd I have to know when to stop. films,books and tv I'm terrible for them. I could have a month of work and still never run out.
    Librarians- need to catch up
    I miss Poldark:(
  • Apple Tree Yard last night on BBC 1 was gripping!
  • Yes, loved that, Nefertari! I loved the book too.
  • Last series on Bones on Sky.
  • Final episode of Endeavour was great.
  • One of my favourite TV shows ever is/was "The West Wing". The writing, as no doubt you all know, is sublime and the characters are wonderful too.

Recently, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed "Borgen" - one of the recent spate of Scandi-dramas (I love that word!). Another political one, funnily enough.

For sheer joy and comedic writing I fall back on "Steptoe and Son".

Regards

Gavin
  • edited January 2017
    The West Wing - The White House. Even though momentous decisions are made in such seats of power I guess the atmosphere is quiet and sedate, but to give it pace they had theses scenes with the President and his aides walking to the camera down endless corridors talking breathlessly. Rather comic, I thought.
    This technique has been copied in so many adverts (insurance) and tv previews!

Didn't see Appletree last night. Might watch on IP. What was it like?
  • I'm watching The West Wing from series one. I don't remember them being quite so smug but it's still enjoyable.
    Final episode of Endeavour was great.
    The next series is already on the schedules. Six episodes.

• Good to hear, baggy!
    Can't stand Steptoe now, though it was funny first time round. Old man Steptoe makes my flesh crawl.

• Didn't see Appletree last night. Might watch on IP. What was it like?
    Slow start, but might have potential. No plot other than an affair between two main characters.

• Has anyone else been watching Sugar-free Farm? It was more interesting than I anticipated, and what struck me most was one woman who had lost a little weight but said she felt much lighter and healthier.
    It made me reconsider my own diet. Not a total change, of course, but with a few tweaks I might shift a kilo or two, and if it re-energises me, so much the better.
  • I only saw last episode. Wish I had seen more

Felt totally appalled and disappointed at Apple Tree Farm last coupla episodes. If I had read the book I wd have thriwn ut across the room. Utter tosh

Wont be watching Broadchurch

*pines for Poldark and Happy Valley*
  • We've just watched two series of No Offence on Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed them.
  • There's a never-ending stream of "crime drama" on. T. V., always about murder. There are other crimes that can be equally fascinating: arson, blackmail, deception, fraud, especially if the psychological aspects are dealt with. What T.V. lacks nowadays is originality. I remember a very long time ago "The Prisoner" and a strange thing called "The Strange World of Gurney Slade". I know that's going back a bit - but at least they were original. I can't bear those crime series where a detective with his sidekick are going round asking people questions and being told "I didn't kill her". They're far too mechanical. Let's have some originality.
  • edited February 2017
    That's what I try to do, because I don't want to be seen as doing the same as everyone else. It's the old 'think outside the box'. Still, murders can be written in a variety of ways, but interviewing of suspects is generally going to fall into a mechanical pattern because it's governed by police procedure and protocol. Similarly, a suspect is generally going to deny, deny, deny until they're faced with irrefutable evidence against them, or, a police member dangles sufficient carrots in the form of a plea deal.

You are right, Iceni, about 'psychological aspects' adding to the depth ans suspense of a TV crime or book. It adds another layer to the story, adds to the character profile, and will usually remove a lot of the similarity between shows/books.

• Ever since two people were on Earth crime, in all its forms, has existed. It exists in every culture at any time in history. It seems to be part of the human condition. A good crime drama reflects the mores of sections of society set in their own time. This enables good, strong characters with weight and dimension. Even the tongue in cheek types - the lovely gardening ladies, eg, and Midsomer, the characters have dimension.
    I don’t understand why some American crime dramas are so popular because they seem to be just a chronological exposition of how a crime was solved (sometimes by very dubious means). The team who solve the crime are just saying the lines, they have no dimension..
    It’s not about the crime, it’s about the characters.
  • Broadchurch is back on Monday!
    Oh and Benidorm new series starts Wednesday. I love it!
  • Talking of crime drama, we watched Taggart tonight for the first time in 16 years. still good.
  • Learned yesterday that my childhood friend's cousin (who i met as a child) wrote Appletree Yard. The book, that is. Will have to read it now.
  • If the book is owt like the Tv prog, I'd feel having read it was a waste of my time

Gosh I used to love Taggart, Lizy
  • The main character is a new actor but there are many familiar faces.

Right now the OH is watching Rugby - I don't understand many of the rules, but there are thighs, and nothing can beat a Rugby crowd roar when a try is in sight.