Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Capital letter, or not?

edited June 2016 in Writing
When a character drops a letter in dialogue for the first word of a sentence, would you use a capital letter for the remaining part of the word?

E.g.:

Farmer Hinkley sidled up and gave the boys a bag of food each. ‘You can stroke Roger. ’e loves it, 'e does.’

Comments

• No capital.
  • No capital.
  • No, no capital, 'e, by gum.
  • The ' IS the capital :)
  • You will see both – preference/style – make your choice and stick with it.
  • I knew that. Really, I did.

Do you do that, question and doubt yourselves?
  • All the time.
  • Yes. Although appearance is to the contrary.
  • Why are people stroking Roger?
  • edited June 2016
    Me too - although in my case, I suspect my appearance often confirms what's going on in my head.

(edited to say 'me too' referred to doubting and not stroking)
  • Why are people stroking Roger?
    Because 'e loves it!

• edited June 2016
    Roger, Mrs Bear (and those of you with sullied minds), is a big, grunting pig, and, yes, 'e loves to be stroked.
  • I've met a few of those.
  • We are all gruntled to know that.
  • Goodness, Heather.

*squeals with delight*

• Roger is thrilled to know he has ignited such (pleasurable) memories.
  • What did I say?
    :-\"
  • You've said enough, heather.

We are of a delicate disposition here on TB.
  • Farmer Hinkley had better watch it or social work'll be stopping by!!!
  • Varmer 'inkley sounds decidedly seedy
  • edited June 2016
    Look, what goes on between Farmer 'inkley and Roger is a purely private arrangement, and I, for one, am not going to judge them for it.

This is a children's book so you'll be pleased to know I removed the bit where a nurse said she was late for a rectal examination. Hubby said it was hugely inappropriate, so she went off to deal with chilblains instead.
  • :O

It's barely past 9, TN. Far too early for any such stuff.

• Hubby said it was hugely inappropriate
    Hang on. What did the inner mother/teacher in you think?

:-O
  • Well, I don't know about those bits of my multiple personality, but the comedian in me said, 'Go for it! That's flippin' hilarious!'

Then I was rudely squashed.
  • I blame Liz. She once told me I should write a funny book.
  • Well... that is true. And children do laugh a lot at anything rude. I'm not sure children will know what chilblains are. In children's poetry there is 'tone' to consider. Tone is everything. It can be rude, but only certain kinds of rude. And if you kill someone, it has to be in a way that is OTT and clearly not actually possible. So sending them out to space on a catapult for being rude would be fine. Beating them to death with a hammer would not.

So perhaps you could find something which is hilariously unlikely? i'm not sure chilblains are funny to a child who might have had them... more to rescue a man whose toe has been swallowed by a parrot?

Philip Ardagh treads a fine line between what is and is not acceptable, with suitably hilarious results.

i am willing to accept all blame in this matter. As long as I get royalties.
  • The chilblains are a passing comment. Nothing further is mentioned. I shall consider the toe/parrot scenario, but the setting is perhaps too real...

So, I should take out the scene of beating to death with a hammer? Damn it.
  • I thought as much.

*Tuts*
  • Is it possible to be 'too' helpful?
  • Is it possible to be 'too' helpful?
    it's the way my brain works. But I shall shut up and go away.

• Not at all, Liz. It's good to talk - as the advert says.
  • And the future is orange. We should never forget that.
  • The oxen are slow but the earth is patient. Just thought I'd mention it.
  • I'm glad you did.
  • Me too. It's not a thought I'd want anyone to try to repress.
  • Sorry to drag the conversation back to the mundane but I would have gone with a capital myself. Lower case looks a bit odd and confusing after a full stop.

Right - back to the weirdness!
  • The lead letter - the capital - is missing because it's written phonetically, which means that the second letter of He, which would be lower case with the H, should still be lower case. The apostrophe is the stand-in H.
    You could argue that there ought to be a capital after the fullstop, but E is not a word, and nor is 'E; it's an abbreviated form of He, in this instance. It's that apostrophe that makes all the difference.
    It's up to the individual, but I'd go lower case.
  • Yes, that makes sense to me, Mrs Bear.
  • Hart’s states that all sentences (that begin with a word) should begin with a capital letter – even if it means changing how a name is usually shown.

Charles de Gaulle would be:

De Gaulle had a moustache.

There’s no obvious mention of TN's query in Hart’s (or even ’art’s and ’Art’s). However, Henry Cooper was known as Our ’Enry. You obviously can’t rely on newspapers to get that right, but the Guardian’s pretty good and I know many authors who have adopted its style guide.

So, on that basis... you should use a capital letter, irrespective of what the apostrophe is replacing. If Hart's and the Guardian say use one, who dares to argue? Authors! They will argue.

I’m finding an increasing number are sending me their own style guides because their writing doesn’t conform – or the author doesn’t want it to conform.

So, as I said above:
    You will see both – preference/style – make your choice and stick with it.
    I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.
  • Oh!

*loses sleep over it*
  • Have another gin. It's all fine... all of it.
  • edited June 2016
    It is, but I'm not sure I'd want to base my choice on that site.

At least if an author makes an informed decision based on an established style it's supportable. Even if they then disregard it, because it's against the style they're creating, it's based on knowledge and not a whim.

This is why you will see both. Who is right? Who is wrong?

The fact that TN cares enough to query it makes her choice right, irrespective of which one she uses.

• edited June 2016
    Exactly. There is a third choice, of course: if in doubt, work round it.
    'You can stroke Roger - ’e loves it, 'e does.’
    Solved!

I wouldn't use the site as a basis for deciding an argument either - it's there to demonstrate that there is an argument.
  • Yes, I could get around that one.

Somewhere else I've got:

''s not our fault.'

Also tried it as:

's'not our fault.'

And with a capital letter...
  • As the bit that's missing is before the s, not after, it should be 's not.
    [i]It's not[/i] has no apostrophe between it's and not, so don't have one in the abbreviated version.
    Capital as before - I'm not going there!

The fudge this time could be "Well, 's not our fault."