Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Querying question

edited June 2016 in Writing
A few months ago I sent away the agent queries, cover letters, and synopsis's for my first novel away to fantasy agents. Now, out of the whole set of queries only one came back as a slight nibble, and it's fair to say I was too eager to get them sent off and ended up overlooking a few things. Not only that, but my actual manuscript was a shambles.

So, now I've finished the fourth round of editing for my second novel and I'm just about ready for the query process. My question is, should I use a different email address to send them off? I know some email inboxes can sort the emails from the same address into a sort of view where you can see the previous emails from them.

I guess I don't really want the agent to see my new query and be reminded about my old one. Or for them to see an unopened email from someone they have already had an email off and just assume that it's me sending my old query again, then end up ignoring it.

What do you all think, should I use a new email address or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• Do you have an email address you use specifically for writing related messages and submissions?

• You're probably overthinking it. They would receive so many that I doubt they save anything from writers they've rejected.
  • edited June 2016
    Yes, but I can just as easily make a new one. The only thing I have used that specific email address for is querying.

And I probably am, Baggy, but as we all know, it's a super delicate process. My stomach knots just thinking about it! Haha
  • Yeah, but what if they see a second idea from the same email and think:

"Hey, this writer has chops! They're written more than one book! Let's read both and see if they have sequel potential."

"Ooh, an email from X...I'd almost forgotten about their first one, better read that now."

"I recognise that email address, I must know them or they must be semi-famous, I'd better read their new query."

Trust me, as a HUGE overthinker, there are unlimited possibilities good AND bad no matter what you do. Go with your gut.
  • If you'd flooded someone with loads of really bad submissions then there's a slight risk they would recognise the email address and be reluctant to read your query. Generally though a second, improved submission after a reasonable period of time is likely to be seen as a good thing - if they remember you at all, that is.
  • No point playing games. Stick with the same one. They'll see you've improved or, more likely, won't remember. And good luck!
  • :) As they were fantasy agents they don't really exist - just send your new submissions to real agents.
    =))
  • Sorry!
  • I wouldn't worry about it, use the same one. It's a brand new submission with a new cover letter, synopsis etc. They must be used to the same people approaching every so often with new ideas, and if they do recognise your name/email then it shows you're still writing away and improving. Go for it, and good luck!
  • Thanks, everyone!
  • They are more likely to recognise your name than your email. I would just go ahead. Most submissions will be considered on their own merit.