Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone reading?

edited July 2016 in - Reading
A few days in Majorca just enabled me to read the following-

Silas Marner by George Eliot- rambling sub-plot but beautifully managed fairy-story-like main narrative

Die of Shame by Mark Billingham- as tense as you could wish for, but seeking "authenticity" through elements I found seedy

The Lie by Helen Dunmore- ultimately average- disappointing

I've just started our old friend on here's signature novel- My Kind of Justice by Col Bury. It tends to confirm one of the sayings I've made up myself- "nothing good ever came out of Manchester". Seldom was something so true, until someone persuades me otherwise- and I don't mean Terry Christian or the Gallagher brothers. However, I have to concede that I have two associates from my younger life who probably still live there!

In case Col reads this, I must add an anecdote attributed to the former Man United football manager, Tommy Docherty-

"There are three types of Oxo cube; dark brown for beef stock; light brown for chicken stock; and light blue (Manchester City FC's colours) for laughing stock".

More importantly, Col's book has an awful kind of authenticity, too.

I also made a point of reading David Walliams' children's book "Billionaire Boy" recently. There were interesting reviews on Amazon about the judgment of tone and the way he portrays female characters.

What are you reading, and what have you learnt from it?.

Comments

• Since reading 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol' by Wilde, Oscar (1854-1900 ) to the budgie, I've realised how tactless I am.

• The Ballad of Reading Gaol is so sad - he was only there because he was gay.

Just read Louis de Bernieres' 'Red Dog' - a series of anecdotes apparently about a real Australian dog. Enjoyable but not great literature.
  • I had started 'The Affair' which I chose simply because it's set in Rome around the making of 'Cleopatra'. As one might expect, I'm loving it.

In the post today was a book I've been asked to review. I have a pile of books to review, but I'd like to get this one read first because it's newly published.
  • Currently reading Michael Harding's memoir: Staring at Lakes. I wanted to do a bit of homework on him because I'm attending his workshop later this month. He can write!
  • The Ballad of Reading Gaol is so sad - he was only there because he was gay.

Just read Louis de Bernieres' 'Red Dog' - a series of anecdotes apparently about a real Australian dog. Enjoyable but not great literature.
    I've read both of those Lizy and agree with all you say

• edited July 2016
    P.S. The budgie, in his paper on penal reform states that Wilde, Oscar's poem 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol' was an influence on those who decided to abolish the death penalty.
    Further Reading;
    Publisher; Squawk Ink
    Author; Beady, Beak-Plume
    Title; Justice; Avian Ideas, 1948-2000