Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Submitting a picture book manuscript

edited July 2016 in Writing
Does it matter how a picture book manuscript is presented? I keep reading conflicting advice. Some advise breaking it into 'Spreads' i.e

Spread 1: xxxx
Spread 2: xxxx

However, others seems to say just flow the text as a regular story and use breaks for a new scene/dialogue. I write my story as spreads (as above) to help create the drama/breaks, and remove the 'spread' titles to make one continuous story, using '...' before the next part (where I want a page turn) to indicate the drama.

Anyone have any thoughts, or is it really my own personal preference? I don't want to give an editor any reason to bin it without reading it! Almost ready to submit a story but stuck on what to do here!

Comments

• Are you talking comic strip type books or a child's conventional picture story book?
  • There is a way...

Look at the scbwi Facebook group. That question has been asked a few times.
  • It's a regular picture book Betsie, 500 words set across 12 spreads... thanks TN, will have a look :)
  • edited July 2016
    I have tried to join the SCBWI British Isles facebook group, but I have to be a 'friend' of another member of the page to be accepted... can someone help who is a member of this group??
  • Can I help, karen? I'm not a paid up member of scbwi, but I'm in this group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/122794234418913/
  • Hi Karen. Indicating spreads by numbers or breaks is good and shows you have an understanding of the picture book format. The publisher may change this later anyway. My publisher works with 13 double page spreads so I usually number my manuscript 1-13.
  • Thank you Lou, is that Maverick? That's one of the first ones I'm going to approach.
    Thanks for being my FB friend TN, the SCBWI page looks super interesting :)
  • Yes Maverick Karen. Good luck!
  • Hello, I'm back looking for Covering Letter pearls of wisdom! I'm nearly ready to start pestering publishers!

A couple of questions:

1. If using the editor name, is it best to use Dear Mr/Ms Jones, or is it ok to use their first name, i.e Dear Sarah?

2. If the name of the editor is unavailable (and no amount of googling or website combing is turning up a name), what do your write? I hear Dear Sir/Madam is a no-no these days. And according to CWAYB, Dear Editor is an error too.

Thanking you muchly to anyone who can help :)
  • I always put their full name. If no Googling turns up results, then phone them and ask.
  • (ie, Dear Sarah Jones.)
  • Aye, I always go for full name. I'd avoid sending to anonymous, there's always a way to find a name :)
  • edited July 2016
    One I'm looking at is Andersen Press, no phone number on web, just email... I worry no one will ever get back to me if I email! The name there is Klaus Flugge, is he the chief? Is it ok to put the name of the uber-boss on the letter??

If there is a list of various editors/editorial assistants etc. on a publisher website, is it best to address a submission to the most senior editor?
  • edited July 2016
    One I'm looking at is Andersen Press, no phone number on web, just email... I worry no one will ever get back to me if I email! The name there is Klaus Flugge, is he the chief? Is it ok to put the name of the uber-boss on the letter??

If there is a list of various editors/editorial assistants etc. on a publisher website, is it best to address a submission to the most senior editor?
  • I see what you mean, Karen! How about 'Dear Anderson Press'?
  • Ok, with a combination of Googling, Bookseller articles and Twitter stalking, I think I have got some actual editor names to put on the letters. So, Dear FULL NAME it is I think!

Thank you for your input :)
  • Well done, Detective Inspector!