Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Should I or Shouldn't I?

edited August 2016 in Writing
I've sent a short story intended for a WM comp. to editor Joanne Edmonds who advertises in the mag. I was intending to be guided by her corrections but it dawned on me that the work wouldn't then be entirely my own. What does Jonathan think?

Comments

• I wouldn't see that as a problem. Lots of people are in review groups or have their work edited. I have flagged this so JT will see it.
  • Thanks for your comment. What do you mean by 'I have flagged this so JT will see it'?
  • We have a flag button.

It enables us to alert Webbo and team to threads that need looking at, either because there's a query & they are the ones who may have the answer, or because it's the wretched spam posts we get every so often.

If you look at the little blue links- Like Quote Flag etc on the same line as your name in posts.
  • Every chapter of the books I've written have been read and commented on by my elder daughter. Sometimes I have made alterations after our conversations. She'll get a mention when I am published, but not as a joint author.
  • When I critique short stories I don't rewrite them. Sending something to be edited is different. I'd like to know where Webbo sits on this one.

• Every chapter of the books I've written have been read and commented on by my elder daughter. Sometimes I have made alterations after our conversations. She'll get a mention when I am published, but not as a joint author.
    That's what should happen - beta readers are critical to the process.

• Joanne has altered a punctuation mark here and there and disagrees with my paragraphing occasionally. That's all she has found to correct in the latest story. I don't suppose that would matter, but I'd like to be sure.
  • I think you'll be okay - what's the difference in that and passing it to a friend to read for feedback? Restructuring sentences might be too much.

One guideline for working on dissertations is that I can add a full stop but cannot add or remove a comma. I now decline the work.