Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Baffled!

edited September 2016 in Writing
I've just received a 'Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting ( Individuals )', which is form W-8BEN from Centum Press. The form seems to be part of a contract and I don't understand one of the clauses viz; 'Do not use this form if you are a beneficial owner claiming that income is effectively connected with the conduct of trade or business within the U.S.' Any ideas please?

Comments

• You're being taxed on money earned in the US. Don't use this form if you are the one being paid AND you're being paid because of business in US. You might need to fill in a W-8ECI, Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United State.
  • Christian Lee of Centum Press New Haven likes an animal themed story I sent him. Seems likely to be published in an Anthology of a Hundred Tails. Are any other TBers contributing to that?