Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lies, damned lies, stats

edited November 2016 in Writing
Checked my stats today - something I rarely do - and don't know why I bothered cos they don't add up.
The short story I posted this week boasts 90 page views in one column, yet in another column there were apparently 14 page views yesterday and 27 the day before.
Last week's story only got 5 page views, yet I had 11 comments - how does that work? For figures that are supposedly computer-generated, they don't make a scrap of sense.
What a load of bo**ocks! - unless you know the answer?

Comments

• Could you be looking at today's or this week's stats and some of the views were last week?
  • I don't think so.
  • I think it's to do with how they have accessed the blog. I wouldn't worry about trying to solve the puzzle. Comments are what count.
  • edited November 2016
    It surprises me that I often have feedback about my blogs other than in the comments. I'm not sure why, but some people email me, comment on Facebook or in forums or via twitter rather than on the blog.

(It's not a problem.)
  • Because they have a Wordpress blog and you are on Blogger, perhaps? Some blogs just won't let you comment.
  • As far as I'm aware anyone can comment, if they want to.
  • No - they can't. I can't. It's a perennial problem with the Blog challenge and the organisers get really fed up with it. Unless I'm on my laptop I ignore Blogger blogs and hover over the addresses so I can just comment on Wordpress blogs.
  • I can comment on Wordpress and Blogger blogs. Might it be your settings, Liz?
  • I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, Liz. There's no requirement to be signed up to Blogger (except for a very few blogs which restrict comments to followers).
  • I know. I know this very well. But I can't comment under ANY of the settings, ie Wordpress, Anonymous, Open, Google ID - the comment says it's posting but it disappears into the ether. I tried it just now, to check, again. It's NOT my settings, and this happens to numerous others - I have talked several times, and at length, to the man who runs the A-Z Challenge and it drives them mad very year as those on Wordpress blogs often can't comment at all on any Blogger Blog.

In fact, I even went as far as to sign up to Blogger, so I could comment under my Blogger ID. Even that does not work.
  • However it's ONLY those Blogger blogs that have that have THIS comment box:

http://www.screencast.com/t/9BCpYS1Ys

All the other comment boxes work.
  • If you have a Wordpress blog you can't post comments on blogger, as you could previously, but you can still comment on blogger via a google account in some form.
  • Not necessarily, because I can't, and know others who can't. Blogger people however have not ben stopped form commenting on Wordpress.
  • I am not that worried about how many page views i get, and rsrely check them. It simply puzzles and annoys me that the figures don't make sense!
  • You have a blogger account, but still can't comment on other blogger blogs? There's definitely something not right there.
  • I know. It's infuriating. Google has a hand in it somewhere, I think.
  • Interestingly, I can't even comment on my own blog if I am not logged in on the blog admin and replying to a comment. Being logged in on admin still does not help me comment on other blogs.
  • I've changed my comment box type as an experiment.
  • Every time they make changes they muck something else up.
  • I'll see if I can comment, PM! *scuttles to PM's blog*
  • Remember some people will just read the post in their email account rather than move to the blog to read it. Or read it in their blog feed.
  • I hadn't thought of that, Lou. I tend to assume most people access blogs in the same way as I do, but of course that might not be the case.
  • I can comment, I can comment, I can comment!
  • PM, which type of comment box did you use this time?
  • Carol, Liz seems to have trouble with 'embedded' comments. I switched to 'full page'.

Oddly my Womagwriter blog which already had that form of commenting tends to get less comments than the other, although (according to the stats) they both get the same number of visits on average per month.