Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creative Writing Group/Course

edited January 2017 in Writing
You may, or may not, recall that last week I enquired about writers groups local to my area. I quite quickly found one and made my first visit to it last Friday.

A few days ago the group emailed out a brief recap of that meeting to all members, those who were able to attend and those absent. One of the absent members replied to say she could not attend for the next few weeks as she had signed up to a creative writing course at her local library.

As luck would have it, said local library is just a stones throw from my front door (and, not much further from my back door, come to that). There then followed an email or two between me and the lady and then between me and the course leader.

And, rather fortunately, I am now booked onto the course. And it is free.

(I have already given my apologies to my new writer's group colleagues and assured them that I WILL be attending again. But, as an adopted Yorkshireman, I simply cannot refuse a creative writing course that is FOC.)

G

Comments

• Fabulous! Hope you get a lot out of it.
  • Oooh, what fun! Yes, take all opportunities! Although it's tricky for me, I always say yes and panic later. It's paid real dividends.
  • That's very lucky.
  • Grab these things while they're available. You can then take what you learn back to the writing group, so they'll benefit too.
  • Fabulous! Hope you get a lot out of it.

Thank you. As with any thing in life, you get out of it what you put in. I hope, and trust, that it will be fabulous.
  • That's very lucky.
    The perfect timing of both my writers group and the creative writing course has been incredible! I am rather fortunate to have asked at the right time.
  • I had something similar where I won a short story competition, went to the writers' group who run it. I couldn't do the course I won as it was too far away (didn't get a prize as a result!) and one of the members set-up a distance learning course for me, I finished it last month. It was ok, it gave me the confidence boast I needed that courses I've paid for have not given me.
    I still think I've a lot to learn but now I am writing more I am happy. I can't go to the writing group anymore. My manager never gives me the time off
  • T'was the night before the Creative Writing Course and all round the house
    Gavin was about to eat this tea - curry. But beef not mouse.
    Before leaving the warmth and venturing into night
    To a Sherlock Holmes event nearby. Will Moriarty be in sight?
  • But on the morning of aforementioned course.
    Gavin paid for sins of previous night,
    Sat on the bog and pushed with force,
    While contemplating what he should write.
  • ***BACK STORY*** Last week my wife said "Pauline and John (our friends) are going to a Sherlock Holmes thing at Heckmondwike library next week, do you fancy it? You love Holmes and its only £2". So, knowing no more than that and thinking "What can you do around here on a dark night for just two quid", I said "Yes."***

It transpires that this evenings Sherlock Holmes event was a performance by the Sherlockian author David Stuart Davies (http://www.davidstuartdavies.co.uk) and very enjoyable it was too.

Wait….did you hear that? A noise from outside. Was that howling………?