Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Doh!

edited January 2017 in Writing
One of our mutts got me up this morning at around 4am to let her out into the garden.

As I was snuggling back into bed and listening to the wind outside the partially open bedroom windows, I had a few great ideas for the start of a short ghost story. I recall thinking I should open up my iPad and jot them down. I didn't do this as I did not want to disturb my wife as she slept.

I could have turned on the light and jot the ideas into a notebook. Alas, I had no notebook to hand.

When I woke this morning I was unable to recall my brilliant ideas of the night.

What I take from this sad tale - and, I am certain you will agree, it is a very sad tale - is if brilliance strikes me again at an un-Godly hour, then my wife will have her sleep disrupted. I will leave a notebook and pen next to me tonight.

I have warned her.

Comments

• Done that waaayy too many times :P
  • In the past I've got out of bed to write down my brilliant night time ideas. In the morning I've discovered that not one of them was even half way decent. I now prefer to be warm and think I'm clever even when barely awake, than to get cold proving I'm not.
  • edited January 2017
    In the past I've got out of bed to write down my brilliant night time ideas. In the morning I've discovered that not one of them was even half way decent. I now prefer to be warm and think I'm clever even when barely awake, than to get cold proving I'm not.
    Oh, rest assured, these were brilliant ideas.

Certainly worthy of winning a Booker, Richard & Judy, Nobel.......er, FA Cup.......Pullitzer and other writerly awards.
    But, fate, eh! What can you do?
  • Ugh. We've all done that. It's infuriating, isn't it? I'm hoping that Patsy's right and, in fact, we've come up with a load of rubbish in our sleepy state, but at the time it seems to be a stroke of genius.
  • And presumably it was dark so you couldn't check the weather. What a waste!
  • :D

Very true. I do know it was windy though. Does that help? X_X
  • I've done it too. Perhaps worse than that, on another occasion I did manage to scrawl some notes on a piece of paper, BUT could not decipher the mess on the following morning!! :(
  • Wear a head torch to bed, Kramer. Be prepared!
  • Wear a head torch to bed, Kramer. Be prepared!
    I thought he was trying to avoid alarming Mrs Kramer?
  • She'll put it down as one of his little foibles, I'm sure. He wouldn't have to put a light on to let the dogs out, so she'd be pleased.
  • Ahh I know that feeling! I remember coming up with the PERFECT names for some characters once... No idea what they were the next day! Had to settle for "lesser" names :)
    Perhaps if these things don't stick then they're not as great as they seem in the early hours :D
  • I have written down ideas of such genius in the night I have been sure I will be rich within days. The next morning, when read, the ideas of such genius turn out to be ludicrously inept. If I can read them. Usually my handwriting is so bad, i am saved from disappointing myself.
  • Why was your dog awake at 4am? Is she a writer too?
    I have written - well, tbh, scrawled - notes in the wee small hours too. In the dark, wearing no glasses. In the morning i can read the words but they make no sense. The ramblings of a half awake mind.
  • Dear all…..

Having read your very kind and informative responses, I cannot avoid the fact the many of you doubt just how amazing and brilliant my wee hours (both in the sense of the dog wanting to go out and it being quite early) musings and ideas actually were.

You can be quite assured that they were sensational. Had I noted them down or recalled them this morning and then relayed their brilliance to you….well, you all may just have wept tears of joy at their sheer marvel. And, let's be honest, probably tears of despair at the realisation of just how darn great they were and that they were my scribblings and not yours.

Maybe. Maybe not. Such a shame we will never discover.

But, fear not, tonight I will be prepared if inspiration strikes. I have told my wife that I am bringing some items to bed that will aid my night time performances. Pleasingly, she smiled. Quite enigmatically, I thought.

G :-*
  • Why was your dog awake at 4am? Is she a writer too?
    I have written - well, tbh, scrawled - notes in the wee small hours too. In the dark, wearing no glasses. In the morning i can read the words but they make no sense. The ramblings of a half awake mind.
    She was awake at 4am because she is 11 and a damn nuisance. But a lovely, cuddly nuisance.
  • Can't be cross with a cuddly nuisance. *looks at Mr Bear* Well, not all the time.
  • I hate that I could have written a short story last night and had an idea for a novel I'm not working on yet. Be lovely to have ideas for the one I'm planning. I try to write ideas down. One night I had a dream which is this other novel idea and I wrote it down straight away but I can't always be bothered and don't want to wake up my boyfriend. Hmmmm could keep a notebook in the bathroom lol
  • That's what I do!
  • OR LEARN TO WRITE IN THE DARK?

sorry - left caps lock on.