Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Should I try short story writing first before attempting the novel?

edited February 2017 in Writing
In 2008 I had a possible idea for a novel and started having a go. I sent the first three chapters to Cornerstones for a critique. I knew it would be mostly constructive but they thought the idea had potential. At that point I had problems with my career so I put it on the back-burner.

I would like to revive the idea. Though I intend a crime to be central to the story, I wouldn't consider it to be a crime story as such (not like detective or police procedural).

The question I am trying to ask is: should I have a go at writing this novel, or should I spend some time writing short stories first?

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Dive straight in (woops, sorry!!) to the novel. Novels don't necessarily need 'trial runs' although all experience contributes to our potential. The time spent doing 'preliminary' short stories is valuable time that could be devoted to your novel, UNLESS, you can frame some short stories that will be easily incorporated into the novel at a later date.
  • So did they say anything about your writing style? The idea is only a tiny part of it.

If you have never written anything before it might be a good idea to join a creative writing class and get some advice and experience as you go, while also writing your novel.

They may also have said the idea had potential because actually writing the story and developing the characters and producing the story arc and then drawing it all to a conclusion are vastly different and a much harder job than starting the first three chapters.
  • If you'd like to write short stories then write some. If you don't want to then don't.

• Two completely different genres, with different requirements. While nothing written is ever wasted, if you want to write the novel, write it; don't try to force yourself to work in a genre that doesn't suit you, or you may be discouraged from doing the thing you really want to do.

Best thing? Just sit down and write.

• What Mrs Bear said, but i would add, why not do both? Then when the novel stalls, you can shift gear for a change.
  • Write what you want to write :) Whilst writing shorts may help you improve in some areas (only if you listen to beta readers, edit, submit, fail, edit, edit...) but as said above writing a novel is a whole different ball game. Just go for it with the novel! And if you have any short story ideas you want to try, have a go at them along side the novel.
  • I agree with everything said, but I do think writing short stories can improve some of the skills you need for a novel.

Go with what your writing mind is telling you to do now.
  • How about a little of both? Why not write back-story profiles for the main characters of the novel in the form of short stories? It can help create credible characters that don't begin life at that stage of the novel. Later, you could release those as teasers before the book's published. Even minor characters can develop a life of their own. Also, you won't feel as if you're have to stall the novel.
  • The idea for a novel is the very thing that can hold writers back. You have that direction so you're already off the starting blocks.

Use the critique to edit your style in the first three chapters you have already written, and keep those pointers in mind as you continue with the novel. As I am sure you will realise, a first draft does not constitute a finished product. You will need to go through it countless times to hone it to perfection.

Sustaining the pace and achieving the story arc may well prove a challenge, but certainly have a go. If you find that you are unable to develop the idea at length, then you might decide to start again and convert it to a longer short story instead.

But good luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • How about a little of both? Why not write back-story profiles for the main characters of the novel in the form of short stories?
    What a great idea.

• Yes, Baggy's idea is very useful. It will no doubt result in important character traits developing from the process, etc., that will contribute to the novel itself, sparking new ideas, plot points, character relationships...
  • It turns out the Cornerstones report was from 2011 so not too long ago.

I've done a writing exercise on the theme, where my inspiration came from, why I want to write it and the problems I had encountered which contributed in me lapsing.

I've also started a writing exercise on the characters: their back story, desires, motivations, why the reader should care about them and how they relate to each other (which gives me ideas about sub-plots and creating tension and conflict).

• Hi Scuba.

Do you have a sister named Lydia?
  • Aye, both is good advice. Crack on with the novel and if any short story ideas pop up along the way, get them written down! Flashes of ideas, rough notes, or steam ahead and finish the short before jumping back to the novel. Sometimes bouncing around several projects can keep you more motivated.