Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Why can't I write about myself?

edited February 2017 in Writing
I've not been writing much recently, other than my creative writing class on Fridays, due to spending a lot of my time on revamping my business website ahead of relaunching it later this month.

Oddly, I have been finding it very difficult to write short passages to go on the site. Odd because I want to write brief bits to describe what I do and, despite thirty years plus doing it, it is ridiculously difficult to get it just right.

At the moment some of the pages have some words on and others have that age old design favourite "placeholder text" to fill the blank bits. I do like placeholder text. Very reminiscent of my Latin lessons at school. Not that I understood much of that if I recall.

But, text issues aside, the site is looking very nice.

G

Comments

• I can't, either. It's very hard. It feels like boasting. And it's hard to précis things so that you give enough info but not too much.

As for actually writing about my experience, no way can I do that. Anything too close and it's just too hard.
  • It should be easy! But it isn't.

I mean, I know what I do (work wise) and it is my business but getting the info across succinctly and with all the correct, positive wording without sounding too egotistical is a 'mare.

Plus, writing even short pieces about printing, graphic design and the like isn't all that sexy really.

AND DON"T GET ME STARTED ON TAKING/ADDING THE PICTURES!***
  • Rather than write about yourself, why not write about how you feel about something? That provides some distance and most of us can spout off about virtually nothing.
  • Get on with it! :P You're gonna have to pimp yourself out eventually, so get used to it now...if you're gonna worry about something worry about what your autograph will look like if someone approaches you for it in the future.
  • It's not my "author" (haha, laughingly calls self), its revamped site for my business.

No client has ever asked for my autograph. Only suppliers, on cheques.
  • OMG! I need to practise mine.

Seriously, why not interview yourself? Imagine you're being grilled by Parkinson or Paxton. Edit that down and Bob's your uncle.
  • The info/text I need is more "clinical" / professional really. needs to be short and punch, informative, doesn't lend itself to an interview....but a cracking thought BB!
  • No client has ever asked for my autograph...
    One day!
  • I didn't mean reproduce the interview, just the responses.
    Edit that down and Bob's your uncle.
  • It's good idea....will ponder it.

It may not sit right with site though. What do you think? (please excuse the temporary www address while site is worked on)

http://8eb24cf3.websitebuildersites.co.uk/home
  • I would write about yourself in the third person, as if someone else has produced the bio.

'Kramer's belief that good quality is paramount is evident in the calibre of products and the expertise of the designers involved throughout the process. The X, for example, outperforms similar products in the UK, and this is because of the Y manufacturing technique. Kramer's business acumen is a result of his extensive training at Z...'

I know that's not a replica of your business, but you get the drift.
  • At first glance I find it hard to read 'helping you to make a splash' in white against the white splashing water. Also, you have an American style date. You have hyphens where you need en dashes. I like the guide although it needs a polish.

It is a very nice website.
  • AND DON"T GET ME STARTED ON TAKING/ADDING THE PICTURES!
    I know a decent local guy if you're looking for a photographer :P
  • I found it hard enough updating my Twitter profile today!
  • Coming along fine. I'd construct it in third person, also.

By an amazing six degrees of separation, I used to live (as a child) in Woodhouse Lane, Brighouse. My father was assistant editor of the Brighouse Echo.
    (I have no idea where the other 'five degrees' are, but you get my drift.)
  • If you want any customers over 50 you need to make the font much bigger and not grey against white...
  • I liked the colours. The size was very easy to read. I am over 50. It might be your settings, Liz.
  • Ah, I just had a look - very professional. I could see everything very clearly.

I'd get you to do signage for me, especially as you know how to use apostrophes - unlike the place I drove past at the weekend advertising 'Tattoo's'.
  • I'm not very good at writing about myself or talking about myself. Or if I do I feel self-conscious like people will think I have a huge ego! When I'm used to be very shy.
    I hate having to write personal statements or things like that when I'm applying for jobs. No wonder I don't have any luck LOL
  • My settings are fine - I just can never read grey on white... along with many other people! We had a big to-do here about the local AmDram show booklet - a lot of the audience complained they couldn't read it (grey on white). They were pretty old some of them. It depends how good your sight is probably - both you and Nell don't wear glasses which cuts down the amount of light that enters the eye - with a big prescription it gets even worse.
  • Oh - and the size of font,i have my setting set very large and everything else was big but the font was still quite small...
  • I wear glasses and contact lenses.
  • At the same time? Lol. Contact lenses don't cut down the light even a fraction as much. I had some for a while and it was wonderful, compared, but i have an uneven surface to my eye and they kept falling out.
  • Yes. At the same time.
  • I can't read grey on white. Don't like white on black either. Liz isn't the only one with sight issues.
  • Thanks for all your kind comments. I'm still no nearer on the text but will take on board the comments re www legibility etc.
  • I like the site, Gavin. (Not convinced about the company that always has to be accommodated at short notice, though!)

Did you launch in 2005 or 2015? It's one in Home and Our Services, and another in About.

A quick look through has brought up a few other quibbles you could look at:

'Always wondered what happens on the other side of your campaign.' - it's a question, so needs a question mark.

'banners are perfect for short term use and can last for years' - I know what you mean, but it seems like a contradiction

Under Printing, you've got a space before 'well' (unless it's my eyesight).

Under Graphics: 'on your windows' but 'for your walls' - reads a little oddly.

'At the same time as launching the business, Gavin spent his spare time' - it's a tad clunky; try something like this:
    Gavin Dimmock set up Kramers after twenty one years working in the sign, vehicle graphics and exhibition industry. At the same time as launching the business, he studied for a degree in graphic design, a vital addition to the skills gained through hands-on experience and training.

Maggie The Mini Schnauzer - Maggie the Mini Schnauzer. ditto for Elphie.
    Will you change Sarah's picture?

As to why it's hard to write about yourself, that's because you're not standing in the other person's shoes. What do they want to read about you and your business? Why should they choose you, and not Signs and Co-Signs up the road?

Hope this helps.
    Lorraine

• Well, as a WIP I think it's great. I'm sure Kramer will polish it to within an inch of its life before it's live. Umm. You know what I mean.
  • edited February 2017
    Thank you, Mrs Bear, for your detailed notes.
    I have attended to the points you have raised and will continue to work on it.

(Although yet to swap pic of the mutt for one of the missus.)
    All suggestions thus far have been hugely appreciated.

Ta all.
  • Well, as a WIP I think it's great. I'm sure Kramer will polish it to within an inch of its life before it's live. Umm. You know what I mean.
    Thank you BB.

*continues polishing*

• Thanks to everyone of your comments. I have implemented some of them and the site has now changed from our previous look to a new, clean, crisp and fresh new style.

All images have been taken by me - this sort of goes hand in hand with a message thread from another member regarding image use on sites. Not writerly stuff but what the heck.

If anyone is interested, it is http://www.kramersdesigns.co.uk/

Now that the site is finished and, with my wife on a cruse at the end of March, I aim to have more time to spend on my penning my novel, "The Kerning".
  • Title is interesting. We all have our own special story behind a title; I can't wait to learn what yours is. :)>-
  • Scary security officer.

:)
  • Guess I'll have to be around a lot longer to get the 'goss' like you, BB. :D
  • Two clicks and you'd be there, PET.