Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help!

edited February 2017 in Writing
Anyone know how to lose dropped caps? They won't go away. They appear to go away, in Word, but are still there in kdp. In fact at one point I've had the whole first para of each chapter turning itself into bold, as the drop cap font appeared.
I've spent an afternoon on this and it's driving me bonkers.

Comments

• Have you tried Googling it for your version of Word- or whatever system you use?
  • Probably need to delete from the line above downwards - even the white space. And then delete the first few words of the opening paragraph. Then start again with the text. The formatting goes beyond the actual letter.

• When I get a problem like this I get a new document and copy and paste everything from a line above and start again from there. Just in case.
  • Thanks for this, everyone. I tried removing the words and what followed, but not what went before.
    Carol, I asked Word, which was less than helpful. Will try again tomorrow.
  • Another way of doing it is to 'export' the subject text to a new document and then 'Save As' an RTF (or plain text) file which has no formatting. Once done, you should copy THAT back to the original document and insert into a new line. All should then be okay.
  • That might solve the problem I've got with one particular document. I'll try it, thanks.
  • edited February 2017
    Okay: still going round the bend here. I'm trying to change the dropped caps at the beginnings of the chapters. Today I've cleared everything from the chapter title (underneath Chapter One etc) to a full line or more past the capital. The result is that all that text turns up in large bold letters on the Kindle previewer. The more text I delete, whether changed in Word doc or changed into RTF and put back, the more bold text appears.
    Just for fun, a totally random line and a half midway through Ch 3 is turning up in bold too, and I haven't touched that.
    The other changes I've made to indents and to a couple of typos in the forematter have taken; this is all in the body of the text, which is separated from the forematter by a break.
    I've changed the indents after scene breaks, and they have worked all the way through. It's just the wretched drop caps that won't change successfully.
    Losing the will to live here. Help! again.