Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Job/day job?

JenJen
edited March 2017 in Writing
I don't know if there is a post about this, sorry if there is. I'm just always curious as to what people do for a living. Mainly because I've been trying to change my job for years to no avail.

Feel free to boast if you're a full time writer- I'm not sure who is or isn't?

I work in retail- a discount book shop to be precise. Have done since I left school at 18 directionless. (Short version of a longer story). It's part time but last Xmas I worked mostly 30+ hours a week. Out of time shopping centre so no 9-5 sadly. I dream of 9-5, when I'm not dreaming of writing full time (10-8). No set hours. But the people I work with a mostly great.

You?

Comments

• I'm a writer.
  • Civil Engineering CAD Technician.
  • I work full-time providing writing-related services. I also write bits and bobs for pleasure.
  • I worked in a local history museum; retired now due to MS. I write poetry, short stories and flash fiction.
  • Former teacher.
    Would-be writer.
  • edited March 2017
    Former social worker. Gave up work to write full time.

• Full time poet.
  • Former lots of things. Now write full time (heavily subsidised by savings) but am making way with freelance ventures and slow-starting book sales.
  • Former assorted things, now pursuing my writing career.
  • I work for a security firm full time - and dream of being a professional writer :)
  • Methodist minister - part time for the few years before retiring, during which I wrote and published my debut novel. Since then I think of myself as a full time writer rather than as retired.
  • Programmer, accountant, risk manager, literacy/numeracy teacher. Now writing but I don't do it full time and it certainly isn't a living!
  • I am a psychotherapist in the good old NHS. I work full time so often find it hard to squeeze in writing time, especially as my job takes up a lot of 'brain power' and can leave me quite drained.
  • A former idlist, I upped my game and became a loafer. Currently rushed off my feet with ambition to reach dizzy heights of a waster.

Don't get me started on what my night-time job is.
  • Regional development & sales manager - part-time writer. Would love to be a full time writer one day.
  • Retired from housing association years ago. Now juggling writing with family comittments.
  • Full-time Pensioner/Procrastinator
  • Retired. Last job was H.R. administrator. Had numerous admin/secretarial jobs over the years, including temping. Was cashier at Iceland for a year and 8 months. Started writing seriously 35+ years ago. My only work to be published was in the school magazine.
  • Mostly writer, followed by critique service provider, teacher of arts and crafts courses and pet portrait artist.
  • Own business. Signs, vehicle graphics, graphic design. etc

www.kramersdesigns.co.uk
  • I've been in the public sector since 2009 - data analyst.
  • I 'retired' at 45 when we sold up our business and went vagabonding. This was when I started selling travel articles. I've pretty much stopped writing articles in favour of short fiction and my non-fiction 'memoir' about Fiji. Like Heather, I don't write full time and it's never been a living.

• Head cook and bottle washer (quite literally). What was supposed to be a part-time job to get me out of the house has now become a full-time job. Still do a bit of writing but it's finding the time these days. Planning on doing some serious writing soon, but just waiting for life to calm down a little.
  • Stuck in indentured servitude to my mortgage with little hope of buying my freedom before time.
  • - Events Assistant at the Natural History Museum
    - Volunteer (botany and entomology) at the Natural History Museum
    - Artist
    - Writer
  • Natural History Museum? Lucky thing!
  • I'm a television extra - currently a 'village regular' on Emmerdale, although I've worked on many other shows in the past. Great source of inspiration for my stories!
  • Charity fundraiser - part-time. Spend my days crafting fundraising applications and dealing with rejection. Good preparation for a writing life. Would love to be a freelance writer but as the mum of very active toddler I'm struggling to find enough time to make this a reality. Plodding on.