Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Derek the Sheep

edited March 2017 in Writing
The creative writing class that I attended for six weeks finished on 10 March but a second series of six began last Friday. Our task was to choose ten random fiction titles from the shelves and use them to create a piece of prose or a poem.

One of the titles that I chose had been prominently displayed on the end of a series of shelves. The cover was plainly visible and I was taken with both that and the title. So, as a challenge to myself, I deliberately picked "Derek the Sheep" to be one of my ten.

Here is what I came up with on the day. Although I have made a few alterations and subsequent additions today.

https://themoustachioedreader.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/derek-the-sheep-and-the-deeds-of-darkness/

Comments

• I like your style, Kramer (apart from "sentences" starting with conjunctions. This is universal, so I know I'm fighting a lost battle there). Just one thing; "paraletic" should be "paralytic".
  • Missed this one, so clicked on the link. I'm afraid I found it too long for a blog post, so didn't read it. Sorry!
  • Thank you for at least following the link!
  • I like your style, Kramer (apart from "sentences" starting with conjunctions. This is universal, so I know I'm fighting a lost battle there). Just one thing; "paraletic" should be "paralytic".
    Thank you, it's pleasing to read that I have a "style".

I will attend to the typo

Grammar was never my strong point. Please accept my apologies.
  • Nice style, nice piece.

This will keep any grammatical worries in perspective:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/15/steven-pinker-10-grammar-rules-break

There are a few typos but they don't detract from the writing. All writing is a work in progress. It's better to share it during the honeymoon phase than when you're so fed up with the familiarity of it you want a divorce.
  • That was fun, Kramer. You have a definite sense of hhumour - maybe even of the ridiculous!
  • That was fun, Kramer. You have a definite sense of hhumour - maybe even of the ridiculous!
    Thank you, Lizzy. It is very kind of you to say so and, I am very glad you found it fun.

I have often been called ridiculous in the past. Although, the word is usually preceded by something along the lines of "stop being so bleeding". I shall take your use of the word to be much more positive!
  • edited March 2017
    Nice style, nice piece.

This will keep any grammatical worries in perspective:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/15/steven-pinker-10-grammar-rules-break

There are a few typos but they don't detract from the writing. All writing is a work in progress. It's better to share it during the honeymoon phase than when you're so fed up with the familiarity of it you want a divorce.
    Hello Baggy.

Heck, that seems wrong. Is Books better? Or, perhaps, simply BB? Although we do have a hen called BB, so that may confuse me a tad!

Thank you for the link - I shall take a mosey on over and peruse it.

I am usually very good at spotting typos. Especially in my "day job"; I have never in 30+ years done a van or sign with errors in the wording. Or, if I have, it was always the clients fault. Honest.

I shall attend to them when/if I use it elsewhere.
  • Exactly. When anyone else shares a blog it's not usual for anyone to comment publicly about typos. You seem to have been selected for unfairly special treatment. :(

The link's to reassure you that you're doing nowt wrong. Which I suspect you already know. :)
  • Exactly. When anyone else shares a blog it's not usual for anyone to comment publicly about typos. You seem to have been selected for unfairly special treatment. :(

The link's to reassure you that you're doing nowt wrong. Which I suspect you already know. :)
    I didn't think I was being unfairly targeted if I am honest. Sometimes, in my excitement at having finished a piece, I often overlook (partly due to familiarity with what I have written/rewritten/deleted/undeleted) that a typo or two gets overlooked.

I have broad shoulders and the comments, to date, I feel have been constructive and very useful.

It, at any time, it alls gets too much for me, I will simply post emojis of a crying face!
  • Two people on a writing forum pointing out typos is unfair treatment?? :P
  • Of course not; but it's seldom done to anyone else when they share a blog post.
  • Guess not as many post stories and as separate threads?
  • Yep. Guess so.
  • I agree with some of B.B.'s link. I think the second paragraph sums it all up correctly. This is why I can't agree wholly with what it says about "sentences" started with conjunctions but, as I say, this usage is universal and considered acceptable. As far as I'm concerned, if the sentence is too long, break it up into two or re-phrase it.

For me, the only time conjunctions should be used this way is when speech is being quoted because it can be an accurate reflection of how people say things. For instance "But I thought..." or "And another thing...".

P.S. What's a maven?
  • Intriguing. I enjoyed that.
  • This is possibly more to do with my head than the writing, but I stumbled a couple of times reading "The reality was that Derek and his mates dancing was less John Travolta..." but when I go back to read it again, it seems fine.
  • Intriguing. I enjoyed that.
    Thank you. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and it's nice to know I can produce something that folk like.
  • This is possibly more to do with my head than the writing, but I stumbled a couple of times reading "The reality was that Derek and his mates dancing was less John Travolta..." but when I go back to read it again, it seems fine.
    Similar to you, I retyped that a few times and it still has that "questionable" feel to it. I think it works though.
  • I agree with some of B.B.'s link. I think the second paragraph sums it all up correctly. This is why I can't agree wholly with what it says about "sentences" started with conjunctions but, as I say, this usage is universal and considered acceptable. As far as I'm concerned, if the sentence is too long, break it up into two or re-phrase it.

For me, the only time conjunctions should be used this way is when speech is being quoted because it can be an accurate reflection of how people say things. For instance "But I thought..." or "And another thing...".

P.S. What's a maven?
    I've been reading that link this morning. I am on my second cup of coffee while I attempt to follow it all!

• P.S. What's a maven?
    "A trusted expert in a particular field"....accordingto a very quick Google search.
    It's a nice word, not heard it before, and I like it. Though, if asked, I would have assumed it was a type of bird.
  • For some reason I dislike that word - it seems like the sort of thing people would call themselves on social media when in fact they weren't.
    Probably just me though.