Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Erm!
  • Peoples' Friend person emailed me with the following message today:
    'Dear Mr Davies,
    thank you for sending the story titled 'Market Day'. Sorry but it is too weak to interest readers.'
    Hey! I've never been Mr anyone.
  • Did you reply to let them know their error?

Poor Mr Davies might have put champagne on ice and is poised with the corkscrew...
    Thanked by 1Patricia Lesley
  • As long as he hasn't got yours...
  • Gosh, and rather a damning report...
  • That's a standard type of reply from them- apparently.
  • Phots MollPhots Moll
    I'm married to a Mr Davies - but he's not weak and has no trouble holding my interest.
  • I see competence and manners are scarce in the hallowed corridors of the People's Friend.
  • LizLiz
    Perhaps all the names should be redacted. Because he is a writer and might come here. That would be brutal.
  • Yes 'tis an amusing inaccuracy!
    My reply to P'sF: Thank you for the message regarding my story. I feel obliged to comment: my name is not Mr Davies.
    Yours etc. P'sF's apologetic response begging me to send another story was immediate! She's given me a line hasn't she?

• Hey Patricia. Look at the positives. Perhaps 'Mister Davies' would make a great pseudonym!
  • Confusion reigns already Paige!
  • Was the title of the story correct or was that Mr Davies' story?
  • Hi Lou, 'Market Day' is the title of my story. May I ask: did you receive any royalites for your contribution to the Wyvern series of publications?
  • I don't want to interrupt a reply but can't help saying it reminds me of a publisher who told me, amongst other things, "there are simply not enough readers who are interested in a worthy effort". Publishers can certainly be cutting. Perhaps they realise we writers develop broad shoulders, with all the rejection we get.
  • heatherheather
    An editor (not pf) once rejected a story saying they didn't see the point of it. It went on to sell twice elsewhere. So there!
    I have had pretty cutting ones from pf too.
  • Hi Patricia - yes I did I think. Not much but it was something!