Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just started.
  • Hello there. I'm new to writing and as I type this post, I feel like the lightest Helium balloon with a big bright target painted on me. I've launched myself into the bright blue. I feel an exuberance within me, a sense of expectation. Oh no! Here comes the bullets.
    I didn't do well at english in school. I'm in my fifties. I started to write a short story last year and finished it with 20.000 words. I loved writing the story and had it put together in book form by a friend. I gave the book to some people and asked for feedback (Friends never tell the truth). One person told me I have a steep learning curve if I wanted to write, I took that as a compliment as they could have said "Very steep" I have started another story, I'm feeling the buzz already. I have rambled on a bit, but I hoped a keen eye would read between the lines.
    Is there any hope for me, or should I just write for pleasure.
  • Welcome! There's always hope and you should always write for pleasure.
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Pleasure first.
    Anything else is a bonus.
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Hi Rob, and welcome to a place where you can talk 'writing' in all its aspects with people who understand.
    I agree with BB and Heather - write for pleasure first. The important thing is to embrace and enjoy the learning curve, and success may come your way in due course! :)
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Hello Rob_d. :)
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Hi Rob_d. Welcome to Talkback.
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Hi Rob_d, and welcome. Write for pleasure. Learn to cut your own work down to size.
    You were very brave to let anyone read a first attempt!
    Keep going.
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • Just started?

He said 'started' snailmail not 'far ...

Oh never mind

Welcome

*sprays air freshner and leaves*
  • Hello, welcome, well done for starting, just keep on practising, you can write whatever age you are (I'm 58, nearly 59, and I only started when I was about 48.
    Thanked by 1Rob_d
  • dora said:

Just started?

He said 'started' snailmail not 'far ...

Oh never mind

Welcome

*sprays air freshner and leaves*

You called, dorakins?

• Welcome! There's always hope and you should always write for pleasure.

Yes. That.
  • Jen
    Write for pleasure as writing for a job makes it feel like a chore. Write what you love and someone else will love it too. I was so focused on being published I lost the joy and let fears etc bring me down but not anymore
  • dora

Welcome! There's always hope and you should always write for pleasure.

Yes. That.

It's difficult to throw oneself into a piece if there's no pleasure in it. If something is not meaningful in some way we generally find it harder to perform it.
  • KramerKramer
    Hello and welcome. I've been one here for around a year, maybe a little less, and the natives seem friendly.
    Dip your toes into the discussions and have fun with your writing.
  • Hi Rob, and congratulations on finding a love of writing. The majority of writers here do it because it's a compulsion. We all get better at it over time, and so will you.
    Feel free to join in with all our discussions - and fire away with any questions. There is a lot of expertise among the members of the forum and everyone will be more than happy to help.
  • Hello, Rob, and welcome. Write for the sheer joy of it - which is clearly what you're doing. Write to tell the story because you must. That's what it's all about. Do you read? That's as good as a classroom.
    Nobody writes a printable book without a huge amount of hard work: the saying is that writing is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, but that doesn't tell you how exhilarating it is at the same time. If you're enjoying it, keep doing it!
  • Welcome Rob - nice to meet you. I love your enthusiasm which prompts me to say, yes, yes, yes, keep writing.
  • Hi folks, thank you so much for your comments.