Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagged

Book Cover Designer needed
  • I'm just about to publish a book on Kindle only and need a cover designed. I would dearly like a local designer to do it but his quote was way too expensive and rightly so as he's brill, however I would have to sell an awful lot of books just to cover the cover!

I know they say get the best designer you can but I just can't afford it. Where does everybody go to get their covers designed if they are self-publishing with a budget?
  • My husband does mine, either using photos he's taken himself (he's a photographer) or stock images.

Which is absolutely no help to you at all. Sorry.
    Thanked by 1RosieRabbit
  • A couple of Talkbackers have done covers.

Also ask Mutley who she uses.

I know Mrs Bear used one.
    Thanked by 1RosieRabbit
  • You can use free ones from the KDP website. They aren't great but if you have no budget you could play with one and see how it looks.
    Thanked by 1RosieRabbit
  • You can use free ones from the KDP website. They aren't great but if you have no budget you could play with one and see how it looks.

You can add in your own images to some of these. It's possible to buy stock images for just a few pounds and the choice is huge, so you should be able to find something you like.
    Thanked by 1RosieRabbit
  • Yes, I used their free templates on CreateSpace and added my own photos.
    Thanked by 1RosieRabbit
  • sallyj
    I've had some of my covers from the designers on Fiverr.com. They cost $5 plus a small admin fee.
  • I should have seen this before i started another thread!
    What I'd like to do with mine is to take a stock image and superimpose my own drawing. Is that even possible?
  • Yes, it is, Lizy.
  • What app do i havecto download to do that?
  • Have you got Publisher, Lizy?
  • Possibly. Is that one of Word options? I shall look after breakfast.
  • MutleyMutley
    If you want the very best Katie Stewart http://www.magicowldesign.com/
    Thanked by 1Lizy
  • I had a look at Katie's website out of curiosity. Doesn't she produce professional, gorgeous covers?
  • She does. I'm going to look at her prices now :)
  • My friend, Tania, is very talented, reasonable rates and she really, really loves doing it.
  • I feel such a duffer putting every little question on TB but who else can ask? :)
    I joined CreateSpace yesterday and filled in their tedious tax form.
    Today I started looking on KDP in search of a cover and they want me to join them too.
    Do I need to do both?
  • Don't feel like a duffer. It's useful for other people too!
    Thanked by 1Lizy
  • If I had a pound for every time I felt like a duffer to have to ask questions on here I'd be a rich woman! Talkback is my saviour - and as Lou says - information is useful for others too.
    Thanked by 1Lizy
  • Createspace is for paperbacks. The KDP part is for ebooks. They're both Amazon, but different branches. You can just have your book as a paperback, just ebook, or both (the designer will need to know as there are differences in cover requirements.)

The one tax form does for both, I think.
    Thanked by 1Lizy