Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help and Advice - New to here and writing
  • Hi,

Always wanted to write and having found myself temporarily unemployed, took the opportunity to do so. I have written a couple of short stories. Turned one into a book which I have entered into a competition. Now have the urge to write and have no ideas that I think are any good. Have I only got one book in me? Help and advice welcome. Thanks

Leigh
  • Read, then! Reading gives you ideas.

Good luck - others will be along soon to give more advice!
    Thanked by 1LeighC17
  • Reading is important, learning how to edit to help make your book as good as it can be.
    Join a good writers group or critique group.
    Join in the One Word Challenge on here each month.
    Thanked by 1LeighC17
  • LeighC17 said:

Now have the urge to write and have no ideas that I think are any good.

Hi and welcome, Leigh. If you don't think your ideas are any good, how about trying some 'free' writing instead of plotting a storyline? Just start with an interesting/unusual sentence and see where it leads you. It doesn't matter if it leads you into a dead end because all writing is good practise and it might develop organically into a story with legs.
    It's all trial and error to see what suits you. I have always had the same problem when writing fiction and I solved my 'block' by writing non-fiction instead.
    Thanked by 1LeighC17
  • Hi Leigh.

LeighC17 said:

Have I only got one book in me?

Nope. There are lots. All you have to do is find them, write them and rewrite them until they're good.
    Thanked by 1LeighC17
  • Hi leigh. Even newspaper stories are a potential source of fiction, or that person you spoke to at the bus stop. The seeds are out there, and if you've written one book you can do it again.
    Thanked by 1LeighC17
  • A while ago I had an article in Writing Magazine called '101 places to find writing ideas'. My initial draft had far more than 101 and I kept thinking of more as I worked to pick out those I thought would be most helpful.

The list appears in this book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Idea-Reader-Patsy-Collins-ebook/dp/B01N919UV0/ref=sr_1_1?tag=patscoll04-21&s=digital-text
    Thanked by 1LeighC17