Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book pricing
  • How did the published writers among TBers decide on a price for their book?
  • CS set a minimum. Compare prices of similar books (genre/length).
  • With the kindle ones, Amazon will tell you what they think the best price will be (it always says £1.99 for me, don't know if that's the same for everyone).

With paperbacks I did as Baggy suggests and priced them at what seemed normal for other self published authors writing the same kind of thing.

I don't know how much the actual price matters. I imagine that for most people the difference of a few pence isn't going to put them off or persuade them to buy.
  • I keep all mine at around £5, but a price between x and y is always suggested, depending on the number of pages in the book. I always price kindle low.

I was going to support a self-published author this morning, but when I went to buy the book, the paperback was £10.99 and the kindle £6.99 - so I'm afraid a potential review from me has now been forfeited.
  • Good grief, that's extortionate.
  • LizyLizy
    Silly prices - I wonder if they make any sales?
  • OK, I take it back - the price of £6.99 for the ebook from a self-published author would influence my decision as to whether or not to buy it.

• Tiny Nell said:

. . . I was going to support a self-published author . . . but when I went to buy the book, the paperback was £10.99 and the kindle £6.99 - so I'm afraid a potential review from me has now been forfeited.

I know I'm late on this but the matter remains topical. I think an author - whether self-published or trade published - is doing themself a disservice with those prices. We would rarely pay more than 9.99 for an 'established' author, and 6.99 for an ebook is way out of the park. I think most of us realise we won't earn thousands overnight. Others might think a higher price might be a quick route to fortunes, but I suspect it shan't be long before those particular books see a 'special offer, new price'.

• If a self-published author has built up a following then a slight price rise probably isn't going to put those readers off too much.

But if I'd never read the author before and they were asking £6.99 for a Kindle book and it was standard length, then I'd wonder if they'd not only missed out on realistic pricing knowledge, but had also skipped on other aspects...