Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird use of apostroph'
  • I was reading a FB thread on food where one of the commenters was talking about "Chick'n" and "Turk'y". I suppose it's technically correct; use of an apostrophe to indicate a contraction. But really, Chick'n, Turk'y?
  • It doesn't ev'n sav' a let'er :(
  • how st'pid
  • Maybe their E key is jammed?
  • Very odd, Mike. If it had been in a character's speech, I could understand "chick'n" to suggest they aren't pronouncing it the usual way, and sound a bit clipped in their speech. However, "turk'y" makes no sense whatsoever.

Perhaps they've been reading 'The Mirror Crack'd..'
  • Betsie said:

how st'pid

St Pid - the patron saint of misplaced apostrophe's ☺
  • Text'ng g'ne bonk'rs?
  • On further investigation I have since found out that turkey / turk'y is an attempt to differentiate between the meat and the meat substitute. Personally, I'm fine with 'turkey-flavoured' or 'turkey-like'.
  • I see. So is that how we have to express substitutes now?

Personally, I'm fine with 'turkey-flavoured' or 'turkey-like'.

Quite!
  • I put m'lk powder in my coffee this morning and a sw'etener.
  • Claudia said:

I see. So is that how we have to express substitutes now?

I was born with a p'''''c s'''n in my mouth
  • Oh, my!
    I have no idea what that is, Mike! :\">
  • More Who than what TN ;)
  • Claudia said:

I see. So is that how we have to express substitutes now?

I was born with a p'''''c s'''n in my mouth

I am trying not to imagine what that is, Mike!

• Are they actual brands maybe?
  • I could tell you, but that might spoil all Mike's fun. Someone from my generation would be more likely to get it.
  • The answer is at 1:50, but I'd watch the whole clip for the song's lyrical genius.

Well, this has become even more cryptic as it appears the video won't display in this comment box. I'll have to think of a cunning substit'te.
  • That is my current earworm, which would normally irritate me, but as it has replaced Shakin' Stevens it's actually a good result!
  • But was Shakin' Stevens an Elvis substitute? The apostrophe would suggest so...
  • This has now turned into a cryptic (for the rest of us) conversation between Mike & Heather. :-??
  • I tried to post a video of the Who playing their song 'Substitute' the lyrics of which at 1:50 are: "I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth".
  • I have that alb'm.

• I did try to give you clues!
  • You did, Heather. It might have worked if the band had been just about anyone but The Who! :)
  • Or if more than two of us knew the song!
  • I knew it! Great lyrics.