Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2008?

edited December 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Yes, I know it's Christmas, but I thought I'd be the first to ask: What are your New Year's resolutions for 2008?

Are they to do with writing or health or something else entirely?
  • I've just tried to see if anyone else has started a similar thread, but the search facility will give me only one page of 'answers'.
  • I will think about them while I peel the potatoes!
  • 1.  The usual one about losing weight and getting fit.
    2.  To spend more time writing.
    3.  To stop telling my son that I used to get myself up for my paper-round without ever waking my parents, and without needing a glass of cold water poured on my warm tummy to get me out of bed.  It just annoys him to hear that.
  • 2008 is going to be my husband's year. I'm giving up all the things that make me feel comfortable and safe so that he can live his dream, so perhaps my resolution should be to jump into his adventure as wholeheartedly as he is.
  • What is his dream, Isabella?
  • to write another book and get published
  • Come on IK, what is hubbies dream?  We're all bursting to know.

As for me, I don't believe in New Year's resolutions and have never subscribed to it.  Don't really know why.
  • To finally get my life in order!! I have been trying to leave my current job since 1998, but now it is leaving me!  Am going to complete a course I just bought, get a new job with the qualification I get, and thus be in the right place to know just what I should be writing, and how, and so be satisfied with life.  Who knows, this time next year, maybe I will be content.

Hope everybody else has their dreams come true, too!
  • To burn a few bridges before they rot away.
    To clean up and throw away anything that is obsolete, unnecessary or of too little importance.
    To make things easier for myself!
  • 1. Maintain my new weight (I lost 3 1/2 stone recently on the LighterLife diet)
    2. Finish my second book
    3. See my screenplay in production (subject to the contract finally being signed!)
    4. Enjoy life...
  • destress myself.  I am sick (literally) of migraines and stomach problems and I think the latter is partly connected to the former, so remove one problem ...
  • not to make light of the problem Dorothy, as I know how awful migraines are, but I misread that as to 'distress' yourself and it gave quite a funny image.

I wish everyone success with their resolutions. I need to work out what mine are. I do have a bet with my husband that I can lose half a stone before he can but I'm not convinced I'm going to win. Candied peel anyone? (oh dear Dorothy that's a raised voice question!)
  • Me, too.  Both the 'distress/de-stress' and the 'sick of being ill' (migraines and IBS and other stuff).
  • Jay, with the IBS I suggest you do a test for food intollerances. It is amazing the problems that can vanish overnight. The Cambridge Nutritional Centre (or some such name- it might have the word science in it too!) is a very good test. Personal experience of being told I had IBS and finding the cause is behind the recommendation.
  • You are right about food intolerances.  All his life my husband had suffered from chronic indigestion. Over the years Doctors told him it was everything from eating too fast, not chewing his food enough, not drinking enough water or drinking too much alcohol to the more serious things like ulcers,  chest infections and heart problems.  Finally I took matters into my own hands and started cutting out different foods - starting with spicy, then fried, then dairy, then eggs etc.,  nothing made any difference until I finally said, well, there is only one thing left - BREAD.  Within three days of not eating bread he was cured.  Now, three years on, he is fine unless, by mistake, he eats even the tiniest bit of flour (say in a sauce).
    We have since told several people who also suffer from bad indigestion and they have had the same success.
    Sorry I've deviated from resolutions but thought it might be useful for some TBers 
  • CQ, that is good news.  I gave up wheat nearly 4 years ago and many symptoms simply disappeared. I am left with a sensitive or inflamed stomach, not sure which, though, as sometimes something sets me off, I am in considerable pain and have to be sick to get rid of the food and the pain.  This is sometimes a food intolerance, I don't do salt very well, any salt, so no cheese, bacon, ham, anything like that, and sometimes the migraine.  So de-stressing is much needed. A few financial worries taken away would help ...
  • hear hear to that !
  • I don't like to make them as such, as I think it's too much pressure. But I definitely need to work on the thickness of my skin if I plan to carry on with this writing lark (which I do!)
  • to try sending out some short stories to magazines this year.
    And start my Dorset novel.
  • To write more poetry and keep sending/reading it out, visit places for inspiration and write/send out my writer's group newsletter on time. 
  • i think my new years resolution has to be: to complete what i start.

i am a terrible flitter.  I know i can finish some of this work i have started but i just cant seem to get the enthusiasm. i think i just like the thrill of starting things!
  • I'm going to try and develop a greater spirituality and foster kindness towards all creatures and the environment.  And after nine pm drink lots of alcohol.
  • I'm keeping my New Year resolutions for 2008 secret just in case I fail at them all.  Then I only let myself down!!!
  • Isabella, I don't know what your husband's dream/adventure is, but I've been jumping into my husband's adventures for nearly 20 years and never had a regretful experience yet.  Scary? occasionally yes, regretful? never!
    We've got a big new one coming up in 2008 - I'll tell you all about it when the time comes.
  • Hi, Claudia. What are your dreams?
  • I've just been offered wall-space in a gallery, so my resolution is to do enough art to fill it, and to get more writing done.  I spend far too long messing around with the house and not enough time with my craft!
  • I'm living them Jay.  I write, scuba dive and travel with my soul mate (result of years of hard work which enabled us to sell our business while still young enough to go off and have adventures). 
    We're planning a new adventure but I'm reluctant to talk about it just yet because half the fun is being flexible and changing our minds at the last minute.
  • To get the new wireless router working so I can actually get on the internet when I want too and not just when my son isn't online. And to get some work published....it may be the same thing each year but its what I need, no have to do to keep sane. And to keep writing and improving.
  • This sounds like coeliac disease to me. My mother has it, one of my second cousins and we are not sure that my grandmother did not have it as well as she was always having stomach problems and had no end of operations, including part of a colon removed according to what my mother told me. She was once told she had irritable bowel syndrome. Eventually my mother was referred to a consultant who arranged a barrage of tests and came up with coeliac and mild ME.
  • I've got two New Year Resolutions.  They will both sound bonkers, but I don't care.  The first is to throw out my magnifying glass - the one I use to magnify every little mole hill so that I see it as a giant mountain and start panicking.  The second is to spend more time just "being".
  • Daisy, they don't sound bonkers. I usually make a whole list but there is so much going on at the moment that I have decided to make just one. "To be me."
  • To revise, add, change partly and republish The Find, send the present book to a certain person in order for him to convert it into a screenplay; to  write some short stories and send them out; ditto children's verses, haigas and haikus; to write more travel articles and send them out to caravan magazines; to continue living and hope to help and cheer up as many people as possible.   
  • Claudia, he wants to sell up, buy a yacht, opt out and have fun whilst he's still healthy enough. We've done this sort of thing before but I was younger then. I can't help but look too far ahead these days, rather than just take his hand and jump - if you see what I mean.
  • My resolutions are to be a bit more positive and look forward. My second is perhaps a bit more tolerance and more patience. Third,to be less petty and listen carefully which is not one of my strongest points. Fourth is to read my work and perhaps be more pleasant with my family[fifth] If I can keep any of those going, buy me a halo next Christmas - a tall order when I am up against it.
  • I'm not sure this really counts, but I'd like one of my books to get to the top of one of Amazon UK's charts (without it being purchases by me that's caused it).

All About Sex is currently at number 27 of gay romance; and The Dandelion Clock was at number 25 not long ago.
  • To continue on my current empowerment trip and stop being a muppet.
    To sort out my health issues and not rely on pharmaceuticals to do it (if possible)
    To continue studying spiritualism, mediumship, meditation and tarot
    and of course - the big one - to make a point of writing something, anything, every single day and stop prevaricating like a big scared girlie. :)
  • I've started my resolution,,, not 'one day' but 'now' which means I've sent submissions off without agonising over them too much. Already I have an acceptance (payment one free copy of mag. but hey, name in print! To Isabella of the generous resolution, buy him a tide table. Thereby hangs a tale which I should really write...
  • Oh well done Quillfinger (love the name). I like your positive 'do it now' attitude - I think we should all follow Quill's example.
  • Congratulations on the acceptance, Quillfinger. Just getting on with it must be the answer for so many resolutions.
  • Yes, well done Quillfinger, a good start.
  • See also the thread "Goals for the Coming Year" in Writers' World.
  • Just wondering if anyone has made any progress with their resolutions...
  • Well I've started the Dorset novel, so 50% success.
  • So far I've managed 5 out of 9 assignments for my course, and have entered one competition - that means I have to enter another this week or my target of one a month will be broken....
  • Not so good my end - and I only set out to be happy!
  • edited February 2008
    Oh, poor you Mutley. It's alot easier if, like me, you just try being dopey or sleepy. I've managed both of those so far! No good trying to be snow white though. ;-)
  • Oh Josette that really made me laugh -thank you. I think the problem is that I am trying to be Cinderella!
  • In that case all you need is a fairy godmother. Now, they are never around when you need them!