Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• I am currently reading Sebastian Falkes"Human Traces". At the beginning I thought "What a wonderful book! How original" - but now that I am half way through I am becoming a little bit tired of all the medical references explaining progress in the diagnoses of madness, but I shall continue to the end because I have become fond of his characters. Anyone else read it?
  • heehee, i think you may well be able to tell how much i enjoyed 'flyte' due to the time it took me to read.

am now reading 'son of the shadows' by julliet marillier, second book in the sevenwaters trilogy. i would definitely recommend these books to those who enjoy fantasy or old fairy tales.
  • I am just about to start reading 'Death in the Stocks' by Georgette Heyer. This is a crime story in the Agatha Cristie style, featuring a Superintendent Hannasyde. There are three other books with this character, so if I enjoy this one I'll read the others. Apparently she wrote 12 detective stories, Arrow books have so far published four. As well as reprinting all her Regency stories.
  • The Brandons by Angela Thirkell. A paperback bought at a charity shop ages ago but I've only just got round to reading it. It was written in 1939 so it's very dated, but its appeal lies in its tongue in cheek approach - it's very funny.
  • peter pan in scarlet by geraldine mccaugheran. its odd, not quite written in the same style as the original peter pan. a brave attempt though. i will perservere 'til the end to see if it picks up or not.
  • I just started reading "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I love his books. The guy is a writing genius.

I just finished reading "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I like to read the classics to try to understand why they are classics. This was definitely a great read. Any suggestions for other classics I should take a look at?
  • I'm reading "The Historian" Yes, it featured on richard and Judy's book club and it's an excellent read! To be honest, Dracula stuff doesn't interest me but this is SO well researched that you actually find yourself unable to seperate the fact from the fiction. In case you don't know...hope I'm not insulting you...Dracula (Vlad the Impaler) actually existed and earned his reputation by - yes you've guessed it - impaling his victims. Read this book but keep telling yourself that vampires don't really exist!
  • It has been a long time since the question was first asked and I replied to it!
    I have a bulk of second-hand books to read and am reading 'Other People's Children' by Joanna Trollope at the moment.  It is a book that when I read it I only feel like reading a chapter but when I put it down I feel like reading more.  So it certainly must be attracting my attention.
    I also am reading 'How To Write Your Life Story' as it may be a good backup if I decide to write an autobiography.
    I hope everyone is enjoying reading!
    Alana
  • Still working my way through the Georgette Heyer crime story I mentioned, I take it with me when I go to pick the boys up from school and read about 10 pages each afternoon. Bit light but there are some very good character sketches.
    Couldn't resist buying Curtain: Poirot's Last Case,and have begun reading it already. I'm not a great crime novels fan, but Cristie and Dorothy L. Sayers I enjoy.
  • Several things.  Carrie Fisher (yes, Star Wars or whatever it was) - now I'm on her book "Delusions of Grandma", when I can concentrate.  I was stunned at her two first books and found I related to her so much (ouch! that sounds very 70s!)
    Various things about now taking a grip of my illness instead of letting it take a grip of me. 
    Also "The Dhammapada" as it helps me find peace.
    Last (not least) a letter from Paul, my now fiance, I've put on the wall.  It reminds me about certain things and is the most wonderful gift.  I see it all the time and will never tire of it. 
  • Have just finished The De Vinci Code.  My daughter gave it to me for my birthday so I had no excuse to avoid it.  Didn't like it at first, but then got caught up in it.  Can't say it has strong characters though.  I know there's a thread on said book somewhere, but I can't find it.  When I tried to search, all I got was 5 threads dating back to 04 and no option to put in any words.  Anyone remeber how far back it was?
  • T, letter from Paul sounds wonderful :o)

Am currently reading The Tiananmen Papers - because I need to know.  Also Etudiants chinois - about the difference between students in 1989 and now (mostly focusing on now, but it's interesting).  Have plenty more (some recommended by Xinran, she's working me hard!), again, because I need to know. 
  • I've just finished The Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
    It took me a while to get into it, but once I did I found myself sitting up late at night to finish it.

One thing I did notice was that I do have an inner "default setting" in imagining every character to be white unless otherwise stated - in this novel every character is black unless otherwise stated.  That was quite instructive.
  • There are two things you have to know about God: She's black.
  • I like that!

Now I'm reading the first in Phil Rickman's series about Merrily Watkins, the diocesan exorcist for Hereford.  It's called Midwinter of the Spirit.
    Since it's set in and around the Church of England, there's a lot about God.
    Phil Rickman lives locally, so the descriptions of Hereford are absolutely spot on - quite strange to have them walking along Broad Street and past the Green Dragon Hotel.
    The wierdest thing for me, though, is that one of the characters was an archaeologist on the Cathedral Close dig.  I know the chap who ran that dig.  I even went to the end of dig party so, if the character were real, she would have been there too, sitting round the campfire in Huw's garden and throwing sticks for the mad sheepdog.

It must be good - I've been sitting up late to read "just one more chapter" two nights running now.
  • I'm reading one of Alexander McCall Smith's Scottish novels. It's not nearly as atmospheric as the Botswana series - I'm not even sure I'll finish it.
  • I've just finished 'The Birth of Venus' by Sarah Dunant. It's the first book of hers that I've read and I enjoyed it. It's set in 15th century Florence and is a skilful blending of fiction and fact. A thoroughly good read, I thought.
  • Kangaroo, I've lost all track of what you may have thought of Eames' book in the original post here!  Do let us know (again, if you have already done so...) TTx
  • Months ago I bought a pristine copy of Boris Johnson's autobiography for about 10p at a jumble sale. I've just started it and can hear his voice saying the words. Scary!
  • I didn't know he could write.
  • I think he's someone's secret weapon. Editor of The Spectator and yet he comes across on Have I Got News For You as a nincompoop!

Nincompoop - there's another word for the other thread!
  • I thought he had a fag to hold his pen for him (ha ha, back to schooldays!)
  • Now, now, TT. Shades of finocchio, here!
  • You've left me dumbfounded for a change....
  • You'll have to read the old-fashioned thread, I'm afraid!
  • I'm reading the Rachel Papers by Martin Amis, and people keep giving me funny looks on the tube because it's got a drawing of a middle aged women in a see through negligee (is that how you spell it) on the front...

Recently finished reading Whit by Iain Banks (v.good book and highly recommended), Wicked by Gregory Maguire (not bad but the musical is better), Kevin Sampsons latest We are all Made of Stars (i think that's the title. Again a v.good book, probably his best)and er...that's about it. I've given up on quite a few books recently as well...notably Strip Jack by Ian Rankin (surprisingly poor considering the otherwise excellent standard of his books), All Fur Coar by Andrew Holmes (boring...), and Clubland by Kevin Sampson (easily his worst book. I get fed up of reading about criminal anti-heroes...Probably should have guessed I wouldn't like it.)
  • gave up on peter pan ins carlet a while ago. have since then read high rhulain by brian jacques, the most recent redwall book. he still remains my all time favourite author, especially in children's fiction.

am now reading child of the prophecy by juliet marillier, the third book of the seven waters trilogy. so far not as gripping as the previous two, but its the climax of a load of prophecies (hope i ddint insult your intelligence too much) so hopefully itl pick up a bit.
  • Is anyone reading the same book as me which is Parallel Worlds by Professor Michio Kaku ???
    He is the worlds leading theoretical physicist and believe me this book will blow your mind.
  • I've nearly finished The Clerkenwell Tales by Peter Ackroyd.

It's set in the 14th century and - like his other novels - has a very menacing atmosphere. It also provides some useful contemporary slang words for unsavoury people!
  • You've only got to mention Peter Ackroyd to me and I think "oooh, it's going to be heavy" so I lose interest.  You've almost made it sound interesting!
  • It's a weird old caper for me.  I've recently been reading lots of stuff but, frankly, feel I should then be tossing those things from the window and getting on with my own stuff.

I mean, I know they say you should read but it's a bit offputting when you're writing your own booki.  Does anyone else find this?

Went to lunch with bloke we know in Windsor yesterday.  He's recently been working on the film of "Atonement".  Now, I'm a great fan of Ian McEwan but found it hard to read "Atonement" and told him.  Anyway, he said that the film is miles better than the book and that everyone he knew found the book hard too - or they were bl**dy pretentious about it!

It won't be out as a film till next summer.

Meanwhile, I've read really light stuff: Virginia Ironside, etc.  Just before bed.

Anna, my daughter, though, has got into Sylvia Plath big-time.  Crumbs.  I've studied her for my degree so we discussed various poems including "Morning Song" (which is at least positive I think and reminds me of both the kids' births) - Anna seems to be amazed that I KNOW things!  Ha. 

I'm just glad we don't have an old-fashioned gas oven.
  • I finished The Clerkenwell Tales last night and  as a result of reading something unsuitable for bedtime, as usual I had a peculiar dream.

I dreamt that I shut our dog's nose in a door (dog on the outside, nose on the inside!) and didn't even realise until my husband told me. I woke up feeling SO guilty and apologised to the dog!!

I must remember to read lightweight books at bedtime!
  • Hello dorothyd, long time no see. 
    I think you do yourself an injustice and that you can more than understand the book.
    I have the IQ of a glass of water, so if I can understand it you certainly will. If you have a spare few moments have a look at it in your local library.
  • Sorry to creep in on your natter with Dorothy, ghostwalk, I just had to say (ha! more like job-drop!) my dad, the 2nd one, was a nuclear physicist and introduced me to various reading matter.  However, his favourite listening?  Sam Cooke! (Same as me, very simple)

I asked him about God once.  Because he and mum were churchgoers.  He said there's nothing to disprove it. 

He sorted out and created the very first computer at Aldermaston and was head of the Atomic Weapons Establishment at Foulness till he retired.

Weird stuff...
  • I have just two words for you dorothyd, your brilliant !!!.

tessa tangent I'm jealous your dad is a physicist, so cool. My dad was just a carpenter, nothing wrong with that, it's hard work for a decent wage and as for me I was just a boring civil servant for 15 years before becoming very ill.(Please note I did not work for the tax office, so please don't boo me).
  • Ghostwalk, it was just what my dad DID!  They have underground experiments etc at Foulness but I can't say much.  Anyway, do you know what dad did in his free time?

He had a little out-house at the house behind the garage and he did a load of carpentry there.  That was his real LOVE.  If you bought him a new rouster or whatever it is for Christmas he was more than happy!  He died of cancer at Christmas 2003.  It was only then we learned exactly what he did cos of Official Secrects Act, they could only say so much.

He made the headboard for my bed by hand.  I'll never have another.  Have you ever heard the sond "Morningside" by Neil Diamond?  It's on the Hot August Night album.  Just a thought.  We're into reggae and soul on the whole but wow, everyone knows someone that this applies to.
  • Ah... intellectuals...

My last light read was a Patrick O'Bryan, the first of his I've read.  Now it's "Bold in Her Breeches", a feminist history of women pirates and pirate women, Charles Johnson's "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pirates" and related guff.  Guess what my next book is likely to be about?

Nice to be among readers again :-)
  • Tessa tangent, I am sorry for your lost of your father. Being a civil servant myself for 15 years and having to be bound by the official secrets act I know I couldn't speak about my job, even when I left, I had to sign a form to ensure that I am still under the official secrets act. It was a pain actually.

If I knew it would bring up painful memories, I would have kept shut my stupid mouth. I am sorry.
  • Hey, GW, not the end of the world old bean!  Goes on all the time. 

My big thing about Nick (dad 2) was always - and we had a few discussions about this - how he could be a nuclear physicist and still go to Church, believe in a God and they were brilliant discussions. 

I'm honoured to have had such a bloke in my life, that's all.  Don't worry about the memories; we need that stuff.

Imagine if we all worried about hurting people's feelings all the time?  Nothing would ever have been written!
  • GW, yes I'm bound by that little piece of paper too. Though I don't think I will be consulting them about my novel.
  • I'm reading The Art of Travel by Alain De Botton. Its a great combination of historic travels and philosophical thinking behind our reasoning for going elsewhere. I'm also keen to get stuck into Bill Brysons recent hardback. 
  • 'Social Contract' by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. I never realised I actually like philosophical things like that. We live and learn.
  • In the past couple of weeks, I've read 'Wild Swans' (which has been on my shelf for years, just never got round to it - now's the right time), another little book about Chinese etiquette and customs, plus a couple of Terry Pratchetts - always a giggle.

At the moment, I'm deep into research about all things Chinese, and can't get enough of it.

Next on my list is a book recommended to me by Xinran, called 'Generalissimo - Chiang Kai-shek and the China he Lost' by Jonathan Fenby (TT, that was one of the ones I bought in Covent Garden...).  It'll be interesting to see the contrast between his ideals and those of Mao Zedong. 

There's no let up now :o)
  • Just started The Age of Scandal by T H White (pub. 1950). It's a slightly tatty paperback, bought at a jumble sale years ago and ignored until now!

In his introduction he regrets very strongly that the aristocracy had lost the favoured position it had retained for centuries and thought that the government of the time was treating them shabbily.

I decided not to argue with him (!) but to carry on reading the essays on scandals from 18th century England. They're very entertaining with plenty of quotes from people of the time.
  • Jenny that sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'll have to search for a copy.
  • There are copies available on the internet at very varying prices!
  • Have found a copy in the marketplace section on Amazon, and ordered it. The supplier is one I  have used before. I'll look forward to receiving it, and reading it.
  • Carol - Having recommended it, I'll feel responsible if you don't!
  • "The Ill-Made Mute" book one of three in "The Bitterbynde Trilogy" gifted to me with the second of the three. The publishing world critiques' suggest a story and writing standard comparable to J.R.R. Tolkien which is confirmed in its synopsis.
    However, Cecilia Dart-Thornton has muddled some one hundred and eighty thousand words into a conglomeration of descriptions without cohesion.

Introduction of the disfigured title character and eventual identity of sexual gender is given minimal attention. Final "cure" of impediment is given a disappointing three hundred words rushed down on the final page. Do I have to read the other books to find explanation for this character's dilemmas?

Quite frankly I consider these tomes an insult to our writing world and slanderous in being compared to acclaimed authors.
  • Jenny, I doubt I will be disapointed. The scandals of the 18th Century are great ideas for stories, apart from the fact I enjoy the 18th Century.