Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help wanted - again...

edited April 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi

I have been working on my current project ( a novel) for about 6 months, and have had periods of really productive writing, coupled with some very 'dry' times.
    My problem is that I have a fairly solid plot but what I have written only really covers the key plot events, and I have now run out of steam  - again.
    What can I do to remedy this? I really don't know where to turn, it is so frustrating, and yet another false start for me.
    I have seriously contemplated giving up on this writing thing altogether, but its so hard to face the fact that I will never do anything more than start a bunch of novels.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

Lizzie
  • Hi Lizzie.
    Don't give up.  You've obvously got everything there for a novel. 
    I'm only a novice but I think everyone has felt exactly like you at some time and if it were me I'd either put it down for a few days/week even a month or two.  I'd then either have a complete break from writing (highly unlikely), start something new - a short story possibly or put ideas down for another novel and/or read an exciting novel.  That normally spurs me on. 
    Don't think of it as a false start.  Think of all the work you've put into it and think positive.  You can finish it.
    I'm starting to realise that like you I start something and never finish which is why I'm determined to finish my novel knowing that I'm going to have to re-write quite a bit of it.  But at least I'll have got to the end.
    Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide on.
  • Do you have any sub-plots?
    Give it a short break, as suggested, then look at it again and see what can be expanded on, or changes that would make it better and give more scope.
    What type of genre/story is it? What is the intended length?
    Hope this helps.
  • Hi Lizzie. Have you thought of a professional assessment? The WN offer for the first 3 chapters is a good one and it would pick up any problems of writing technique. Alternatively, you could try the 'what if' strategy to get the characers' bums off their seats (if indeed that is the problem). What if X is secretly in love with Y? What if Z has a terrible secret? What if etc.? Carol's suggestion for a sub plot is a good one which might kick start the thing. Otherwise, I suggest the age old remedy of a large gin, a night on the town and to hell with the book until tomorrow!
  • Hi, Lizzie. What's the word count so far? Sometimes, if you grind to a halt, it means the story/chapter/book has actually finished. Or maybe you're the sort of person that can work only in fits and starts.
  • Hi

Thanks for all your responses, to answer your questions:
    The word count is 22,372 (to be precise)
    Its quite hard to put it in a genre, but I suppose you could call it a coming of age novel - of sorts. It is told in the 1st person from the point view of the main character, a teenage girl who is 14 when the bk starts and almost 17 when it ends.
    I've been reading some writing books over the weekend in my search for answers, and now wonder if the plot is more a series of events rather than a proper plot, and that this is where my problem lies. The trouble is, I'm not a planner, it seems to be my nature that I work in a fairly haphazard way.
    I will definitely follow your advice and put it aside for a while, but am seriously wondering what can be done with it.
    Thanks again for all your advice, any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Lizzie
  • Thanks Lizzie, that helps.
    This is something that comes to me from your description, why not make it the diary of this young girl?
    Only an idea, but it may help you think round the difficulty.
  • Lizzie,
    "...plot is more a series of events..." ?

Well, surely that is life? Our journey through life may be destined by that great power but day-to-day events cannot be wholly pre-ordained. We experience a kaleidoscope of trials and tribulations which have to be solved without preparation.

Your book sounds like a window on some of these confrontations. Diarise if that works but consider how your own life ebbs and flows each day. Mayhap a diary entry could introduce various scenes or enactments of your characters.
  • Hi
    Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement, I feel that I at least have some options now, whereas before, I felt completely lost.
    Carol: Its really strange that you mentioned telling the story in diary form, I have written a couple of diary entries in her voice, it seemed a natural way to express her thoughts, given her age, but I wasn't really confident about integrating them into the main body of the story. I will think about this again, and maybe write some more of these.
    Thanks again to all of you for taking time out to reply, I appreciate it so much
    Lizzie.
  • I've just got a copy  from Castlehill books via Amazon of More About How to Write a Million, after another Talkbacker suggested it as a useful source of advice for setting. I've seen the one Gary suggested in Waterstones, and if it is as useful as the one I've just got, then it's a good investment.
  • Hi
    Thanks for the tip about the book Gary & Carol next stop Amazon...
    Its amazing how much better I feel after reading all your replies, you are all so helpful, I feel so much more optimistic about my writing now.
    You all make such a difference - thank you.
    Lizzie
  • Hi Lizzie
    I'm no expert - but I think it must be really difficult to write it all in first person - although I know its been done before, of course. I was wondering if its possible to introduce another character, perhaps the girl's mother or her boyfriend and have a few chapters from their point of view. It could be comical if they were giving a different interpretation of events
  • Hi Lizzie!
    I have the same problem as you.  I write solid for a month but then start to lose track and fail.  Last year I managed to write 22,000+ words for a crime novel but it came to a dead end.  So at the beginning of March 2006 I began to write a new subject, relationship/friendship and have written 3 and a half chapters so far.
    Not having support, I find I lose confidence in my writing and lose interest in continuing.  I end up looking at old Writing Magazines for authors advice and find by the end of reading them I can't wait to get back to the PC.  Their advice really makes me want to write.
    On days when I don't have joy of writing, I read through author websites and I find I want to write again to succeed like they have.
    I hope these two jobs are of help for you as they have been of help for me.
    Alana
  • Hi Lizzie - how well I know your problem!!  I wrote my first novel a couple of years ago as part of a writing course, then I began a second last summer.  It has become much more difficult and I know that, for me, the reason is because I didn't work through the basics before starting to write the book.  I would recommend reading Charles Frey's 'How To Write A Damn Good Novel' (available from Amazon) as he takes you through all the basics - plot structure, character developement etc. and also, what works especially well for me (and has just been underlined!) a step system of drafting your novel before actually beginning to write it.
    As I said, it's just what works for me, and everyone else has given good advice, so just go for it and try to enjoy the process.  Good luck!
  • Hi
    Tilly, Thanks for the advice, I have also thought about using another voice,I am working on it at the mo, and hope it may be the answer.
    Alana & Eledhewen
    As much as I hate to think of anyone else putting themselves through the sort of thing I do, it is very comforting to know that I am not alone.
    Thank you,
    Lizzie
  • Hi Lizzie, take a long walk- alone. Take in all the beautiful things surrounding you as you meander along. Run the story through your mind, changing the plot- is it better, do you like your main characters? Then go home and write, even if it means re-writing from the start. Remember if you don't like the story there's is good chance neither will your readers.

Regards
    rebdek