Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A Novel Of Help For Writers

edited March 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I thought I would let you know of a book titled 'Seven Steps On The Writer's Path' that was published in the USA 2003.
    I managed to find it in the local library and just completed reading it.  It has been of great help for me as it has made me realise that all writers go through the same experiences.
    Many times I have nearly given up on writing because I believed I was not good enough to be published but this book has certainly made me feel more positive towards my work.  It has made me want to continue to work!!
    I really advise everyone to find it and read it as it is of great support!!
    Alana
  • Just a thought sweetheart. But why do so many people on these threads recommend books 'about' writing instead of getting on 'with' writing?
  • Some of us are scared (including me). Good to hear from you Alana.
  • Quite so Neil,

Many years past, when I was considering typing lessons, my secretary swore me against "wasting money" as she considered the skill was best learnt with practice. She sighted a service technician she once met who was the fastest typist she had ever met, he used only his index finger of each hand!

Writing, as with any other "skill" can only be developed by practicing our abilities.
  • Hi Alana, thanks for that tip, I'll look out for the book. I often find those kind of books motivational, as well as helpful. How are you?  I don't think we've heard from you for a while.
  • Thanks Jan. The technician you mention is a man after my own two fingers!!
  • Although I understand your comments Neil, aren't writers always being advised to "read as well as write." I have a number of writing related books which I dip into when I am in need of a break from the actual writing process, then I find I have even more motivation to get on with more writing. But suppose it is what works for the individual.
  • Morning Lucyq,

I interpret the "read as well as write" adage as reading as many diverse authors work as is possible to gain insight and ideas into ways and means of developing one's own skills.
  • Quite right Lucyq, 'read as well as write' is the advice. But it doesn't necessarily mean books about writing - even though they do, I suppose, count - it simply means books in general. It is advice actually that bothers me from time to time as I read so few books. I do, however, read lots of journalism.

There must be more books about writing available today than ever before. They are huge money spinners. Everyone, it seems, wants to write - hence the publishers' mountainous slush piles.

I wonder how people like Jonathan Swift, Jane Austen, Henry Fielding, Charles Dickens, the Brontes et al managed without the latest must have book about writing?

I seem to think, by the way, that you have already contributed to this debate in your thread headed 'Why Write a Novel?'

Neil F. 
  • I understand why people might want to read books about writing.  Don't we all despair at times and search for motivation, advice or inspiration? 

But I always wonder why the authors of these books on writing aren't producing best-selling novels themselves, since they think they know so much about it.  I realise there may be exceptions, e.g. everyone seems to recommend Stephen King's 'On Writing'.  And possibly some of these authors of books on writing use other names to write under. But my point is, why aren't these writers writing instead of writing about writing, if you see what I mean? 
  • Nail on the head Lily!

It's exactly like those financial gurus in the papers telling you where the next best investment is. Why arent they all multi-millionaires?

When it comes to books about writing however, there are, as you say, exceptions - but these are like priceless gems among the dross. Stephen King certainly. And I don't know if you're familiar with the work of  the late Patricia Highsmith ('Strangers on a Train', 'The Talented Mr Ripley' etc.), but she wrote a good one some years ago called 'Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction'.
  • Yes, now someone like Patricia Highsmith I would take seriously because of her track record.  But with last month's WM there was a whole brochure full of books for writers.  The authors of the books featured were mostly people I'd never heard of! 
  • Just a small point. How can a new writer learn what he/she is expected to practice and write about, without the guidance from the book of a published author?
  • I find it helpful to buy a how-to book (or three!) whenever I'm interested in a new genre. But I think I was originally drawn to several of those books because of a lack of colleagues to talk "shop" with.  That was before I discovered Talkback of course.
  • It sounds like a good motivator to me and as for that other person who was told by a secretary not to waste his or her money. I am afraid I do not agree as I learned to type and I bless it daily,you get on much faster by learning the home keys, asdf, jkl;  - so much easier and I think anyone can learn it and then put it into practice once shown. In fact I would recommend children learning it on the keyboards at school. They will get on a lot faster - a basic skill thteveryone should acquire.
  • What are you typing about Woll52?
  • Hiall

Just read the contribution on this thread. Neil, you are so wrong about books on writing. The person who writes a book like this does not have to be Stephen King or JK Rowling or anyone else in that league, all they have to do for me, is to be someone who writes, teaches writing or loves writing. Many of these people are willing to share their fears, anxieties and foibles about writing. They tell how they were really bad at writing when they started out, how many things they had rejected, how they struggled every day to do that most difficult of things - TO WRITE.
    I struggle to fit in my writing around a full time job and it is so hard to feel a jot of inspiration or desire to write after a grulleing day at work. But all I have to do is pick up one of my books on writing, and withing 15 or 20 minutes I am dashing to that blank page, heart racing, trying to remember all I want to say.
    So don't be such a cynic, a good book on writing does not have to come from a bestseller, it just needs to have been written by someone who has known the difficulties that the writing life brings. You are missing out on a lot by not reading some of these books, they are filled with invaluable tips on characterisation, plotting, pacing, and all the other essential things a new writer needs to learn.....
    It is essential that a writer reads, or how could he ever be a writer, but it is not essential that he measures every book by the success of its author, this means nothing if the book helps you in your quest to write.
    Lizzie
  • Whatever turns you on Lizzie. But I did suggest that whereas there is a place (albeit a small one) for books about writing on the shelves of those who write, they are very largely not my cup of tea. There again, if some people get inspiration from reading these books who am I to criticise?  At the risk of repeating myself I still wonder how people like Jonathan Swift, Jane Austen, Henry Fielding, Charles Dickens, the Brontes and even The Bard himself managed without the latest must have book about writing?
    Cheers M'Dear!
  • Neil, as my original posted message I recommended a great book that would be of help for people with their writing as it had done for me.  I was so taken aback with your reply to my message and others as well.  It was what I least expected.
    By having time to be so critical to everyone's comments shows you up that you must be pretty bored with your own writing.
    You said you preferred reading Journalism articles.  So keep reading the papers and stop commenting on books that people recommend which you have no idea what it is about yourself!
    At least we are all happy with our own writing and reading!
    Alana
  • well said Alana!
  • It really depends on whether you write to improve or just find writing motivational. It is great that there are people who write these books. I think it is a different skill to writing their own stories. After all, how many of us have watched Trinny and Susannah and said how could the wear that while we are sitting there in our own trackie bottoms.
    I think it is an awful booktitle,Seven steps to success, it sounds a bit like an AA program and that we will be cured of our problem at the end.
  • Alana, thank you for your recommendation. I like to read books such as these for advice and guidance. That is one of my personal preferences and quite frankly, I'm shocked and disgusted by the sarcasic and patronising tone of Neil's reply. Each to their own, so why post a message like that? If someone replied to me in that way face to face to say I'd be very angry is putting it mildly. Up to that point I'd always found this forum friendly, but I can't say I'll be returning in a hurry. Thanks a lot, 'sweetheart'.
  • Please don't get upset LL. Neil does sometimes seem a bit ascerbic, and I'm sure we've all said things we've regretted, or thought we should have said differently.
    Whether we use advice books is very much a personal preference, personally I feel they can help at times.
    Neil perhaps doesn't feel that he needs them.
  • Only to-day I got a book from the library called Write Away by Elizabeth George who is a SUCCESSFUL NOVELIST. She gives a detailed account of how she writes her novels and includes extracts from her writing diary. As a new writer I could write and write and many years from now I would learn through experience what she is telling me. I see books on writing as a short cut. Also she distinguishes between "art" which is natural talent and "craft" which is technique. You CAN teach craft, but a writer needs talent (and perseverance) to be successful.

Perhaps Neil hasn't heard of any of the authors of writing books because he ony reads "journalism"
  • .... and finally, here are the names of some writers who have also taught writing: Saul Bellow, Philip Roth, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Joyce Catol Oates, Thomas Keneally, Anne Tyler et al  Heard of any of them Neil sweetie?
  • The last three contributors to this thread seem to have taken unnecessary umbridge over Neil's initial comment.

Come on folks, all you can interpret are the written words. Without manner and intonation of delivery how can it be possible to interpret the comment as derogatory?

Everyone has the right to their individual opinion, the rest have freedom to agree or disagree as each sees fit. The beauty of the English language is its abundance of interpretations from use of the same word. One misread or incorrectly interpreted sentence seems a ridiculous reason for excluding oneself from the camaraderie generated by our community.
  • Oh God! Fame at last!!
  • I didn't take umbrage. And I'm talking in neutral tones here, as I was in my last comment. I didn't want Loftus Lady to absent herself because Neil was being his sometimes contraversial self.
    I'm sorry if my last comment on Neil, perhaps not needing to use writing advice books, was seen as critical. It wasn't.
    We are generally a happy bunch, but everyone has off days, and perhaps this was one of those days!
  • Thanks Carol,

For responding to my over-generalisation. I hoped you or/and Tilly would react. My words were meant to illustrate the many possible ways that everyones comments may be viewed/interpreted.

As you say (and I agree) we are generally a happy bunch. It rather surprised me that Loftus Lady suddenly seemed so fragile. I interpret the word "sweetheart" to have caused offence when, surely, it was Neil's shorthand way of meaning "don't take my words to heart". Afterall, he was merely expressing his "thought" prompted by Alana's subject.

There are times when we all make contraversial observations, that is when we as an individual express opinions opposite to the main theme of that particular thread or subject. Personally, I like the fact that everyone is free to write their own interpretation of all raised issues, debate opinions, express concerns even contradict an accepted ethos.

There are threads and an occasional individuals words that irritate me but rather than leave this wonderful community I distance myself from that particular annoyance or post words in counterbalance.
    This is THE place to meet the broadest minds of wordsmiths. One must accept that it is not possible for the whole congregation to agree on every topic. I do hope Loftus Lady reads our debate and reconsiders what was, hopefully, a momentary spurn.
  • I agree with you Jan, well said.