Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Scottish Romances

edited April 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I'm doing an informal survey on what the Scots and the English think of Scottish historical romances written by American authors. Please contact me if you have any comments. All comments will be confidential unless you wish your name to be disclosed.
    Thanks!
  • I've only read a couple over the last few years, although I regularly read historical romances written by American authors.

I enjoy the stories where a Scottish lord/gentleman is transplanted into English society due to inheritance, searching for someone, family treachery etc. Not really into the warrior type thing.

I would be unlikely to read anything set before 18th Century. This is really personal preference, and possibly the choices that have been available to me, or the blurb that gives me an idea of the story, hasn't been enticement enough.

If I read this type of book, I could say what is good/bad and why. I find the writing style of the individual authors does affect how I, the reader, respond to the stories, and whether I would read more of their work.

Background research appears to be good, with leeway for ease of plot; that is acceptable in the genre.

The books imported from the States, stocked in our local Waterstones, do appear to sell, so there must be a market for them.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
  • Carol,
    Thanks for your reply. I'd like to get in touch with you direct but can't seem to find your email on this talkback forum. If you do read this, please email me at [email protected]
    Many thanks
    Loren Teague
    www.lorenteague.co.nz
  • Hi Loren. I will e-mail you once I finish on Talkback.