Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Closer or just an illusion

edited April 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Two things to report, fellow scribblers.
    I attended a BBC writersroom Q&A session in Leeds with Debbie Horsfield (Cutting It) and Ashley Pharoah (Paradise Heights, Life on Mars)and very informative it was too.
    Managed to collar Paul Ashton (Development Manager, BBC writersroom) after the event and when I told him my last three scripts had come back from their initiative with full reader feedback,he said that put me in the top 15% of people that had submitted scripts per year (and we're talking about thousands). He also said he was aware that the 15% deserved further encouragement and that they (BBC writersroom) were considering setting up workshops in the hope that they could learn how to take their ideas on to the next stage.
    Good stuff (hopefully).
    I also found out that I narrowly failed to get on to the shortlist for a BBC One Evening Play scheme. The judging panel liked my idea, but another writer had a similar pitch and after much discussion, they decided to shortlist the other idea
    GRRR!
    But i feel I am getting closer and it is giving me such confidence.
    What I am saying is, gather up every crumb, for soon you shall feast...If you are hungry (and lucky) enough!!
  • Well done you!!!  Take that as some encouragement - I would!!
  • That is very encouraging CJ, keep going and you will get there.
  • Wow! You never know, the next submission might crack it.
  • Well done CJ. It must be a good feeling knowing that you are getting so close. I'm sure it will happen for you so keep at it.
  • It sounds as though you really are nearly there. Well done!  The development manager obviously remembered your name from the Evening Play scheme as well as saying you are in the top 15%, so you are certainly on the BBC radar! Thank you for encouraging the rest of us too.  I'm trying my hand at my first script at the moment (comedy), so it really helps to hear of the successes of those further down the road.  I went on a tour around BBC Television Centre last week, and attended a Radio 4 recording, which I found motivating too.  Good luck with your next submission.
  • Well Courierjohn,

That is SOOooo encouraging. You have proven the worth of tenacity.

Now just remind me, I'm sure I read a posting some months ago of your intention to quit. What a good job you reconsidered and an example to those feeling discouraged.

Keep trying!
  • Congratulations CourierJohn, that's great news. You'll get there!
  • You sound very motivated and 'switched on' - I'm sure one day we'll be wishing we'd begged your autograph now.
  • Thanks everybody.
    I guess there is still a long way to go yet, but the fact I am getting things read and receiving positive feedback is very encouraging.
    Yes Jan, I was on the verge of giving up. But after taking some time away from the computer I found I needed the buzz of trying to create something so back I crawled. This was despite the fact I have been trying to write something somebody really wants for about 25 years.
    And Betsie, jumping the gun somewhat here, but I would never dream of signing an autograph for somebody I consider a "friend" (which you lot are even though i've never knowingly met any of you!). That would be so uncool! Ha Ha Ha!
    Good luck everybody, and in the words of Henry Root...
    LET'S GO!
  • My instinct says I'd approach every relevant agent with your work and tell him what this man said.  Personal contact sometimes works but no guarantees of course.
  • Our fingers are crossed for you John.
  • Brilliant Courierjohn.  Keep trying, soon they'll realise they want you!