Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

SOS

edited April 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hello, I was wondering can someone help? I haven't written anything for awhile, and I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I'm in a rut, and I don't know how to get out. Maybe I'm in one of those 'taking in things stages' and some of those things will come out eventually as poems or stories, who knows. I'd like to hear what anyone else does.
  • I've been go through a similar thing recently, too many other things demanding attention, and causing a blockage in the creative flow, so to speak. So I concentrated on research for one of my other projects, and it is something that needs to be done, so I do it during these lulls.
    This latest one, has allowed me to pin down my ideas for location research in the summer (thanks to everyone who helped here by answering my thread for help and ideas) for my second novel.
    I think you should use the time in the way that best benefits you. After all even experts need breaks from their jobs. Writers are the same, the important thing is that we don't waste it.
  • If I were you:
    a) I'll take my time... and eventually a poem or a story will come out,
    OR...
    b) I'll sit down and start writing.
    => it depends on my mood!
    What mood are you in?
  • When I have periods like this, I find it helps if I re read my Writing magazines. I am soon filled with enthusiasm to write something.
  • Hello Kang, I do what Lucy does i.e. flick through piles of current and old Writers' News mags.  When something catches your eye, start a list of things you might like to write, either now or one day in the future.  Curiously the old copies are always interesting and I wonder why I didn't take notice when they were new.
  • At the moment, I've come back down to earth from visiting a writers' festival in Melbourne, so I'm excited about what I've seen and like to try. I'll look through the back issues (haven't done that in awhile) and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Getting a few things in the post box is a great motivator, even telling some editor about 'fed up' bored and what I did about it.  Answer someone else's query or comment.  Kids/man getting you down?  Write how you feel, then mail it!!!! Its what we writers do.
  • That's a brill idea Sal.  Treat yourself to pile of the current women's mags.  Go through them all with a toothcombe and find slots that you can write for.  Letters pages, tips, and all the things Sal mentions.  You'll be busy for a month and maybe earn some cheques.
  • Ah, I might be of some help I hope. Right, stop staring at that screen - there is nothing like a walk with a purpose. Do you live in the town, if so, I have found your answer.If you have a day time job, even better for if your company is getting rid of any folders, preferably the large ring binders, put some feelers out to say you are interested in acquiring a couple - just think, you will be reducing the landfill sites and doing the environment a favour as well. Now go to your local stationers and buy yourself some plastic sleeves or dividers.If the folders come complete with dividers, twelve being the maximum as you will need one for each month of the year. When you go home, you have all the equipment needed for a Diary of Ideas. Make it look pleasing and professional to the eye, you might be able to help a fellow writer if you are feeling really generous if they are suffering as you are now. Now on your computer, put in a floppy as you don't want this taking up disk space. Transfer or copy the Word part of your software to the FD and type out your name and diary of ideas plus the month for your header. Start going through your newspapers, listen to the radio, read some fiction, watch make over programs on television. One picture in a newspaper or even an art gallery can speak a thousand words. Look beyond the makeovers or something like Grand Designs. Suppose someone has built a house on top of an ancient burial ground that causes a local druid sect to exact revenge on them for building on a sacred sect.There is something already, strange supernatural and mysterious events start to cause dire havoc. Most important, carry a notebook, listen to people talking but you have to be careful about obvious eavesdropping, some people do not like it. You could even write a story around that,someone hears a group of men in a shop plan to duff someone up, Mum had just such an experience when she was working in her bookshop, these guys had knuckledusters on their fingers. You have to tune your mind as a writer. Ask your wife or any relative if they have heard or had an extraordinary experience. Every family has a big problem in their lives that can make a story. I think that should stimulate the creative juices.  When you have a certain number for the particular month you are in[don't need to start from the beginning of the year - begin with this month you are in] Print out what you have typed for that month, use your word and clip art for the labels and the month on your word document then slot it into your folder. Before long, you will have an easy reference. Keep that all important notebook around with you, a spiral notepad should be enough. Use the notepad on your computer.  I think that should get you going and good luck to you. Who knows, you could be starting your best seller before long.  Regards Woll52
  • Thankyou for the advice/support. Its good to know there are other people who have gone through the same thing.