Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing the first draft of my novel

edited March 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I'd hazard a guess that some of you will know about my novel, as I have talked about it quite a lot in previous topics.

I have had to start re-writing it because I was showing everything through all the character's eyes. I didn't want to do this, as I feel I have a very strong main character, and I want the story to unfold through her viewpoint.

So I am doing this now, but thankfully, I wasn't a huge way into the novel, and I am getting to the point where I was before I changed things.

But the thing is, I have realised something during these changes. I am mainly focusing on what is happening at the immediate time, and as yet, I haven't even mentioned where the story is set. I figured I could put any bits I have missed out in future edits.

So what I'm doing is writing the bare bones of the story. Is this a good way to approach a first draft? I have the location of my story written down elsewhere, and I also have character profiles, which includes some detailed information.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • It's all a matter of what works for you, isn't it? I guess you'll soon know if it doesn't.

Bringing in info like where the story is set and descriptions of people and places is very different when you are writing all the time in one person's head. Everything has to be what she would think, what she would want to tell you. This could mean a bit of trickery when you want to say something she wouldn't.

Personally, I like first person writing best of all, but a lot of people would disagree.

Have fun, and tell us how it goes, please.
  • I've heard that suggestion of getting the bones of the story down, and I think for some of us it would probably work well. You can get too dragged down with trying to remember all those small things you think should be included. Try it and see if it works.
  • I work by writing as the story comes to me - if I think of anything later it goes in somewhere, or I jot it down somewhere.  Then, if a storyline gets jettisoned (I love that word, must include it on the other thread), I chuck it out at editing stage.  It's quite fun that way, and it allows me to revisit some of the events I'd more or less forgotten about.  I tend not to write character profiles, as they reveal themselves to me as I write, and I have no synposis, as that would throw me completely.  I dislike organisation, and prefer to write 'freehand', as it were.  It works for me.