Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

E-mailing other Talkbackers

edited February 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Hello all,
    Following requests in another thread, I thought I’d draw your attention to Talkback’s contact facility, which allows users to send private messages to each other’s e-mail accounts, and which will NOT be visible within Talkback.

Even if users were happy for other Talkbackers to see their details, there are good reasons not to post e-mail addresses or, worse, ‘mail to’ links on the site. Addresses would be grabbed from the site by what are known as ‘harvesters’ (there is nothing we can do to prevent that, unfortunately) and could end up being bombarded with spam.

To send a private message:
    On the <A HREF=http://www.writersnews.co.uk/talkback/members.asp>members' profile page</A>, find your intended recipient and click the asterisk in the 'contact' column. It brings up a text box, much like when you enter a Talkback message. Type your text and hit send. By contacting a member this way, they will see your e-mail address and can respond either by using the same procedure, or by conventional e-mail.
    Give it a try and see what you think. To give the system a 'dry run' you can opt to send a message from yourself to yourself.
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • Many thanks for that info Webbo. And also thanks for setting up this great site - it is good to feel part of a writing community and to be able to give and receive support to/from fellow writers.
  • Thanks for that - a very useful facility without exposing people to spam.  Ta very much.
  • I just tried emailing myself and yes it does work!  The email went into my junk mail though so may not be spotted by the recipient straight away.
  • Thanks Webbo - have just tried but then not been able to log onto my email - typical! 
  • Anyone remember the song, 'I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter...'
  • I remember it Betsie...
    Nat King Cole sang:

I'm gonna sit right down
    And write myself a letter,
    And make believe it came from you.
    I'm gonna write words oh, so sweet
    They're gonna knock me off of my feet,
    A lot of kisses on the bottom,
    I'll be glad I got 'em.

I'm gonna smile and say,
    "I hope you're feeling better,"
    And close with love, the way that you do.
    I'm gonna sit right down
    And make believe it came from you.

I'm gonna sit right down
    And make believe that it came from you.
    I'm gonna write words oh, so sweet, yeah!

Lotta kisses on the bottom,
    I'll be glad I got 'em.
    I'm gonna smile and say,
    "I hope you're feeling better,"
    And close with love, the way that you do.

I'm gonna sit right down
    And make believe it came from you...

I'm gonna sit right down
    And make believe it came,
    Make believe that it came from you!
  • Whow! HP, that whisked me back a fair while! How on earth did you remember every line? Fantastic. I promptly recalled the tune, but apart from the first line, it had totally slipped my memory.
  • I didn't remember it all - I got out the CD and sat down with a pen and paper... Then I gave up and looked it up on the internet!
  • Hi HP,

Way back in the late 1920s, when 'Talking Films' were the latest in entertainment, I recall a film in which the co-Star of Janet Gaynor sang to her photo. The first few lines were:

'If I had a talking picture of yoo-oou
    I would show it every day
    And give a midnight matinee
    If I had a Talking Picture of you.'

Do you have access to the rest of it?
  • Hi Grandpa

Good to see you are making the most of Broadband!  The lyrics for 'Talking Picture' are:

"If I had a talking picture of you,
    I would run it every time I felt blue.
    I would sit there in the gloom of my lonely little room
    And applaud each time you whispered, "I love you; love you."

On the screen the moment you came in view
    We would talk the whole thing over, we two.
    I would give ten shows a day,
    and a midnight matinee,
    If I had a talking picture of you."

If you go to this web address you can hear a 1929 version of it by Johnny Hamp's Kentucky Serenaders with  Don Howard as  vocalist.  You will need "Real Player" which you can download on that page if you don't already have it.  I'll see if I can find janet Gaynor's version.

http://www.dismuke.org/Electric/April98.html
  • Thanks for letting us know, but how do we find out if someone has sent us a message through the site?
  • I used this private e mail recently but the message went into my Junk mail, but it was titled "writers news private message" (or something along those lines). Try it by sending yourself a message via the site, as suggested by Webbo.
  • Thanks HP,

I visited he website as suggested, but as is always the case, due to my severe deafness, the sound was garbled beyond recognition.

Yes, HP, my new toy -- Broadband -- has enabled me to browse Talkback as and when I please, and that's proving to be quite frequently.
  • Hi Phoenix, in response to your query dated 23/02/2006 16:43:59 -- 'How do we find out if someone has sent us a message through the site?'

If it doesn't appear in the normal position on the email page, take a look at the trays located below the Intray. You may find it in a tray marked 'Deleted Files' -- or something similar. That's where mine went when I posted one to myself.
  • This is very interesting Webbo. I've not posted a message to myself - I get enough spam mail without sending more of it to myself!!