Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A great book about writing

edited February 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi all

I don't know if any of you are as addicted to books about writing as I am, but here's a top tip for you  - I would say that its probably the best book I've ever bought. I found it in Borders, and it is a collection of essays on writing by writers and teachers, there is so much good, helpful stuff in there, here are some of the things it covers:
    1. Thinking about fiction
    2. Characterisation
    3. Point of View
    4. Plot, structure and narrative
    5. Style and voice
    6. Revising, editing and marketing.
    However, these are not dry pieces, they are all hugely inspirational and well written. As its written by many different people, you also get a nice variety of style.
    I would heartily recommend this gem, its details are:
    Creating Fictiom, Instruction and insights from teachers of the Associated Writing Programs, edited by Julie Checkoway.
    best
    Lizzie.
  • Thanks for that, Lizzie. I might look for it next time I'm in a posh bookshop. There are so many 'How-To' writing books out there, it's nice to have a personal recommendation.

You say you're addicted to these books. How many do you have? I presume you've got / read the Stephen King 'On Writing' one, which is always inspirational. I'll have a look at my collection, and see which I would recommend too.
  • Thanks Lizzie, I'll look out for it too.
  • Thanks for the tip Lizzy.

I found a couple of books in a bargain basement, second/maybe third hand, book shop in Brighton.
    'The Business of Writing by Gordon Wells'
    'Write Right By Jan Venolia'
    I have found both invaluable!

Slopey.
  • Thanks for that Lizzie.
  • Hi all
    Glad to have been of help, I do have quite a collection, my favourites are:
    Anything by Julia Cameron, whose books are quite similar to Natalie Goldberg, the UEA creative writing coursebook is also great, but I somehow find the american writers a bit more spiritual/inspirational.
    Yes, I do have the Stephen King book, its great, as an aside, I love his story about Beula the babysitter in there, it made me laugh out loud, he is also very honest about his addictions etc.
    I also like Heather Sellers Page after Page, she's a great, very down to earth writer.Oh God, maybe I should spend my time actually writing and not just reading books on how to do it!
    But seriously, I feel as if these books have helped me serve my apprenticeship in writing, I use them on two levels, for knowledge and also for inspiration.
    Lizzie
  • I really recommend Page After Page by Heather Sellers.  It's very inspirational, and she talks about some things that no one else does in other writing books.  I also like Eric Maisel Coaching The Artist Within.  I'm going to get Fearless Writing by him next.
  • Thanks Annie, it's always great to get a recommendation.
  • My favourite book about writing is 'How to be a Writer', by Dorothea Brande.  It focuses on the fundamantals of getting the conscious & unconscious minds co-operating in creating  (I'm also a painter, and it's just as relevant to that).
    It's a vintage classic, but I have a fairly recently published paperback (sorry I don't know the publisher, but my copy's out on one of its loans as usual!)
  • PS. I don't mean the one with the same title, in the  Bookshelf section, by Stewart Ferris, good as that may be.