Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Main New Year Resolution for Year 2006

edited December 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I have already made a list of New Year Resolutions but only have two main ones.
    One of the main New Year Resolutions is to write 500+ words for at least 5 days a week.  I really enjoy writing but I have not been consistent enough and know that I need to commit myself to the hobby or otherwise I will never succeed.  I know that if I keep to this New Year Resolution I will complete my first novel even if it doesn't ever get published.
    Do you have any New Year Resolutions for your writing?
  • Hi Alana.
    Happy New Year to you!
    I have four ideas for scripts which I am determined to finish this year. That is not to say they will be any good, but actually finishing them and sending them off would be pretty good as far as I am concerned.
    Good luck with your resolutions.
    Another resolution, away from writing, has to be NOT to get into work so early!
    ZZzzzzzz
  • Hi Alana

Happy New Year! My NYR has to be the same as yours, to write, and to write consistently. I have managed to do this over the past few months, but being an ill disciplined soul, only in fits and starts.What I find is that once I am writing every day, I want to write more, and have so many more ideas.
    I've read loads of interviews with writers and they all say, without fail, that in order to generate new material, they must write regularly. Good luck with your writing, let me know how it goes.
    best
    Lizzie
  • Yeah - me too.  Less procrastination more actually doing it!
  • spend less time answering emails and more time writing!
    may we all achieve our aims this coming year!
  • Yeah. No more Freecell, Spider or Talkba...Oh, well, maybe just a bit. But I'm definitely going to put more effort into my writing, expand my vocabulary and do less procrastithingy. You know - that big word that Betsie said.
  • Resolution No 1: write minimum 500 words every evening
    Resolution No 2: give up wine with supper to be able to write 500 words every evening
    Resolution No 3: reduce stress in day job to be able to give up wine with supper to be able to write 500 words every evening
    Resolution No 4: go part time to reduce stress in day job to be able to give up wine with supper to be able to write 500 words every evening
    Resolution No 5: write 500 words a day to earn money to be able to go part time to reduce stress in day job to be able to give up wine with supper to be able to write 500 words every evening
    EUREKA!
  • To regularly transfer pages from notebooks stashed in various places (by bed, in car, in handbag etc) into one master file, so notes can be found when needed without a major hunt in several locations.  Also to start drinking with supper.
  • Two ambititons here - to get something published professionally this year and to fight as a Saxon at Hastings in October (it's going to be one of the really big re-enactment battles that they have at Hastings every three or four years).
  • Those Saxons - they don't give up, do they?
  • Help, the Saxons are a-coming. I too aim to do more writing next year and especially to finish the book I'm currently writing. I'll report back in December 2006 on whether or not I achieved this aim. I wish everyone a good writing year.
  • To do the housekeeping bits on the latest blockbuster - synopsis and covering letter - and get the damn thing out (it's the first one that has a chance as a first novel, so I ought to give it that chance).

To leave my procrastinating till that's done.
  • a) to finish the book I'm currently writing (it's nearly finished, so it can't be that hard)
    b) to rewrite the previous one (have already started in fits and spurts, but Fate keeps intervening to stop me), and then rewrite the current one
    c) write and read as much as possible generally
    d) to write every evening (for some reason, my most creative period is some time between the hours of midnight and 3 - I've tried to change this, but to no avail) - and try to write as much as I can during the day

I'd better make a note of these, word for word, so I can look back at the end of 2006, and either celebrate or cry.
  • My New Year's Resolutions are: To finish off what I start (I'm an Aries, sometimes they have problems finishing things off), to believe in myself more, to have fun and get some more poetry published.
  • I'm Aries, too, Kangaroo and I know what you mean. I've got more unfinished projects on the go than I care to think about. The thing is, if I resolve to change, I know I won't keep the resolution and then I'll dislike myself. I can't afford for this to happen because I've only just begun to think that perhaps I'm not so bad after all.
  • I too am an Aries and have a house full of unfinished projects, including half a patchwork quilt!  Whatever I resolve, I never stick to it anyway so I don't make resolutions either.
  • Lily, I try so hard to keep the resolution, but then I find something more interesting. After the first few days I give up
  • I only have one resolution and it's the same as last year - not to make resolutions!!  Contradiction in terms I know but it works for me. 
  • I think i am addicted to talkback, my resolution is to sort this out...new forum called "addicted to talkback anyonomous" anyone?That idea would kind of contradict itself though. Happy 2006 everyone
  • Yes, to get to know you all...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.
  • Kangaroo, Sylvia and Lily, I think other signs have that trouble too. I don't know how many, but it's probably eleven. One member of Gemini certainly does.
  • MNYRY 2006: win the jackpot, give up job, and from...
    - Monday to Friday… start at 0900 revising drafts from the previous day (cutting through the extra words or vagueness (circa 100 words) & doing some research), have an hour for lunch (while thinking what I’m going to write next), and start writing! Finish by 1700 when I must have been written (400 words /page * 4 pages/day = ) (about) 1600 words/day! Then, for an hour or two read (literature), and afterwards have supper & watch TV!
    - Saturday & Sunday will be just for spending quality time with family and friends!

Therefore, with about 250 working days in a year (because of the weekends and holidays) I should be able to write c. 375000 words = c. 937 pages, but if after a general revise I’ll be left with 850 pages (2 novels, or 3 collections of short stories)... I couldn’t ask for more, just success!