Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Format

edited February 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all,
    Got some useful advice on format from my writer's club last week, but just wanted to ask what you guys think.(Non fiction by the way)

I have started paragraphs like this, with the first line slightly indented.

Then put the next paragraph like this, with a break in between, but have now corrected that format to this.
        With no break in between unless the subject changes or I start a sub-heading in the chapter.

New Heading here.

The text in here. THere are suggestions for speech within the book,which is now in the same format as the main text, but with names at the beginning.
        Moira: Speech in italics (directions in brackets).
        More text laid out without the paragraph breaks.

I have had some interest from a couple of people about my work, and have been working quite extensively on it for a particular publisher in the hope that my improved ms will contain enough 'new material' for them to take it on... Fingers crossed. The text is all double spaced, including the title page and chapter index and addresses for further info. Does this seem about right?

Any comments appreciated, I have to post it out this coming week. I am very excited indeed.

• P.S. I want to get this right as they have asked for double-spacing throughout and proper paragraph indentation. Not sure what they meant, as the text was double-spaced barring the addresses and the paragraph first lines indented. HOpefully closing up the extra line between paras will be enough. I already have very good comments about the competency of writing from them, so hopefully they won't be too concerned about format if they like the new content (I've extended the book by over 30,000 words).
  • thanks for that, Dorothy. Very helpful.