Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Children and Teddy's

edited January 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• About 3 years ago I started a story for my sister's kids concerning a teddy that I was given by a Captain I sailed with. It runs to about 5 chapters and whilst doing a N.E.C course I used part of it for an assignment. My tutor liked it but said that the age group that would read such a story are too young for a full sized book and suggested cutting it up into short stories. Now my question is, should I carve it up or should I pick it up again and carry on to see what I could do with the finished article. Sister's kids are obviously a little older now and I could easily update the story.
  • I'd have thought your tutor was right. (My son still has his teddies in his teens but he stopped wanting to read about them at a young age.) What about a series?
  • Hi Narnie,
    I think it depends what age you're aiming for -kids who are old enough to read for themselves might not be keen on a book about teddy's but a book (or series of them, which I think is a great idea) that can be read aloud to younger children would need to have a picture on at least every three or so pages. We are reading my 5yr old the original Charlie and the chocolate factory and also read James and the Giant peach, she loves being read to and is now old enough to pick up on what is happening without it being a picture-only story but can only handle short bursts of 10 - 15 minutes reading. I wonder if choosing an age range to aim at might be worthwhile, remembering that a 5 yr old is quite different in terms of reading skills to a 6 yr old.
    not sure if that's helpful but there we go. Good luck with it, Narnie
  • Thank you for the feedback. I think that I wil have to make it into a series of short stories. I intend to take the whole lot away to sea with me and see what I can do with it. I enjoy writing for children-possibly because I'm an overgrown kid myself. Having said that, my sister has pointed out that an adult version is feasible although Robert Rankin has beaten me to it on that score. Still the true life biography of the starring bear makes for interesting reading. Perhaps I will try both!
  • Well, John Betjemen, the poet, wrote a slightly bizarre picture book about a teddy, called Archie and the Strict Baptists.  I'm not sure who that was aimed at, apart from the author.
    I can't think of any teddy bear books written for children much over the age of seven.
  • Someone told me a long time ago about 'Archie and the Strict Baptist'. Who published this book? Is it still available? I'd be grateful for any details please.
  • Available on Amazon, Stan, at £48.08!!!
    Only 32 pages so must indeed be something special.
  • I bought a fantastic children's picture book today, "Baby Brains" by Simon James. It's one of those that children (about 3-6yrs) will love, but it works on an adult level too - difficult to achieve with books for the very young I should think.  It's warm, funny, with a great tag at the end.  The illustrations are fabulous too. Well worth a flick through in the library/book shop, even if you haven't got a child to share it with! 
  • Archie and the Strict Baptists is so much money simply because not many copies were ever printed, and collectors of Betjemen want everything he's written.  It says nothing about the quality of the story itself.
    (Trust me, I'm a second hand bookseller).
  • I would not pay £48 for Archie and the Strict Baptists. Our church has it roots in the Strict Baptists so I'm curious about this book. But not curious enough to spend that much money.
  • It should be in the British Library, but I believe you have to go there to consult any of the books  they hold.