Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A query about character's health

edited December 2005 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi everybody,

I've written some family background information for my most important characters, and it has helped me a lot. I now know more about them, and I should have the opportunity at certain points to talk about their history. But my lead character, who is called Samantha, has the most detail regarding family background, and one thing about her past is quite important.

In my novel, she has a 2-year-old daughter, who I am basing on my 2-year-old cousin. When she gave birth to her, I have put that there were complications after the birth, in the form of heavy bleeding from her womb. As a result, she had to have a hysterectomy, which saved her life.

I've searched on the Internet for information regarding hysterectomies, and I've found small bits of information about it sometimes being essential that the mother have this procedure if something goes wrong after childbirth. But unfortunately, it is not specific i.e. it doesn't say what sort of relapse would make a hysterectomy essential.

I will make mention of this part of her past in the novel because I feel it is important to other things I am writing about her. I just don't want to write something that isn't accurate.

So basically, I'm looking to find out what sort of problems straight after or soon after childbirth could require a hysterectomy. Would putting she suffered heavy bleeding be enough, or is more specific information required.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Isn't it called post-partum haemorraging?  You could try looking that up on the internet to see if it mentions hysterectomy.
  • Hi there; if the doc discovered an inoperable fibroid at the birth, which causedd heavy bleeding they couldn't stop then a hysterectomy would be a life saver. 

(personal experience!  ...if that counts)

lin
  • Hi Lin,

Thanks for your message. What you said is actually a great help, as I have quite a lot of notes complied on this subject. Can I ask if your child was unharmed throughout your experience?

Thanks again.
  • the child was unharmed fortunately;  a similar thing happened to my grandmother when my mum was born.  They told her to nickname the child MERCY as she saved my grandmothers life.  She was given a total hysterectomy at the birth too.

Hope this helps.
    good luck!
    Lin
  • Hello, You could have a word with your doctor. Whenever I require medical help with my writing, I usually go to see my doctor with a notepad and pen. Questions are listed 1-2-3 etc. It has never failed with me, and I do believe doctors are only too pleased to share their knowledge. Good luck.
  • Hi,

You say you've looked online for information but have you looked up support websites for women who've had hysterectomies? I've found such places to be of invaluable information. You could also try a Doctor/diagnosis website as many of them have a qualified doctor you can email with questions.

Good luck,

Phoenix