Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Opposite of Flashback

edited January 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all,
    I've finally had a visit from the good-ideas fairy and have duly started to write it down. I had plenty of time to mull over the idea before hand, and know in a round-about-way what will/could happen in later parts of the book.
    The first scene, and I do want to keep it at the front because of how the story is, doesn't actually happen till much later in the story-line - but it's staying at the front for incredible (I hope) impact and suspense when you meet the character properly later on.
    But what is it called? It's the opposite of a flash-back but flash-forward sounds silly and I know it's not right.
  • Hi Moira.  Found this at Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:
    Flash-forward:
    Pronunciation: 'flash-'for-w&rd
    Function: noun
    An interruption of chronological sequence (as in a film or literary work) by interjection of events of future occurrence; also : an instance of flash-forward 

Hope this helps.  Sounded logical but too simple somehow!
  • Oh thank you, Hush Puppy.
    Flash-forward was right all along - like you say, it seemed to simple!
  • Hi,
    I've decided to get round the problem of how to identify a chapter/scene as a flash-forwards by putting the date (and in a couple of places the time and location) at the top of the writing and it's working really well. This is also helping me to just get on with the writing as I have quite a few scenes in my mind that happen much later on in the stroy and was having trouble writing through the start of the story, not knowing if these would be included earlier as ff's - so now I can write any bit I want to quite happily knowing that I can sort out which order it will in as and when I get that information from the muse in my head. I really love this story! I keep getting random flashes of how a snippet of info from further on the book will keep the reader intrigued as they then get back to the 'present', figuring out how x got in a position to do that to y etc.