Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing daily 'pages'

edited December 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi and a Happy New Year to you all

Re: Writing habits for the new year - I have promised myself that I will get back to doing morning pages, as advocated by the wonderful, inspirational Natalie Goldberg, whose book 'Writing down the bones' is a joy to read. There are others who advocate pages, including Heathter Sellers and Julia Cameron.
    For anyone who has'nt read their books, they all swear by writing uncensored pages, usually on waking. I follow Heather Sellers method, which involves writing a list of 10 things that you saw the day before, these can be mundane things, they don't have to be 'big' or profound. When you've listed ten things, pick one of them and write about it for exactly ten minutes, in capital letters, without stopping (no editing allowed at all).
    I can really vouch for the value of doing this, but it must be done on a daily basis, and works best as soon as possible after waking, before your inner censor is fully awake.
    Try it, you'll be amazed at the results in a very short time. It had me racing to my desk to write, its as if the act of uncensored writing awakens something inside.

Good luck x
    P.S I can recommend anything written by these 3 writers, all of their books are highly inspirational.
  • Thanks for that - I've heard of 'Writing Down the Bones' you've inspired me to acquire a copy.
  • You're very welcome Betsie, I've just posted a list of good writing books on the reading thread if you're interested.
    My only problem is that I spend too much time reading books on how to write, instead of actually writing!
    best wishes
    Lizzie
  • I have that problem to lizzie!
  • So do I. Happy New Year everyone.