Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dyslexia and Dyspraxia

edited November 2012 in - Writing Tales
I’ve known I’ve had Dyslexia for years but last week they told me I also had Dyspraxia as well. They said it makes you really clumsily. The test for Dyspraxia is this.

Walk in a straight line with your arms out without wobbling.

Sounds simple enough doesn't it?

As I stood up from the desk I kicked the table. Oops. I pushed the door to, removed my bag and jacket and then promptly tripped over the doorstop and landed flat on my face. (Does anyone watch Miranda? It was a Miranda fall. Such fun!) The examiner was doing her best to hold back a smile. I can’t blame her, it was kinda funny.

This week they told me I’m getting free soft wear to put on a new laptop I might be getting. I have a tutor I can see one hour a week and I have extra time with essays and library book loans. I am also given a disable students allowance (We’re told the exact amount closer to the time)

I think a few Talkbacker’s or relative of Talkbackers have Dyslexia and Dyspraxia. I have the support in Uni but what about when I leave. I assume i can keep the softwear but I'm slightly worried about working in the real world. How do you get by?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    ST - have you looked on-line to see if there are any forums/support groups?
    I think when it comes to working in the real world you'll find it won't be a big issue. Gone are the days when these sort of things weren't recognised and accepted - I honestly don't think they'll give you any serious issues. Your own attitude will make a difference too - hold your head up and don't be apologetic about things that are a part of the uniqueness of you.
  • I think there's a society that covers Dyspraxia- you may even find the Dyslexia society has relevent info as they so often go together.

You learn strategies that will help you, StF. You can't avoid things entirely, but hopefully you will learn how to manage.
  • You've managed this far without even knowing that you've got it, so you're not going to suddenly change. You are still the same you that you've always been, StF, just with an extra adjective. If you feel it's making a particular job difficult, then you can bring it up and ask for help. Otherwise, you probably won't feel any different.
  • ST, I have a friend/colleague with dyspraxia. It's true she is a little clumsy but for her it's all about getting her words jumbled in speech; sometimes she uses the wrong word, other times she gets the beginning or the end of a word wrong as she says it. BUT - she is extremely good at her job - she's a fraud investigator required to interview people and also give presentations to our organisation and to other bodies across the country. She manages a team of investigators and they have just won a national award, which is all down to her skill.

She's not a writer but she's very creative and inventive.

"Working in the real world"? You can do it, despite and in spite of any labels/conditions. We all have faith in you Jack - and that shines through.
  • StF you are only a couple of years older than my son, who was diagnosed with dyspraxia when he was about six. For a while he had a laptop at school, because his handwriting was illegible, he still did PE and everything else, yea he's a bit clumsy and sometimes we have issues with explaining things and change (it's taken me about five years to get him to have his bedroom decorated), but he now writes everything, with the paper upside down and it is surprisingly legible.

Employers these days are far more understanding, especially some of the bigger corporations (mainly because they have had to be).

Don't worry about it, just get on with living life and carrying on as you are. I've got some books and links if you want to know anything, message me.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]You've managed this far without even knowing that you've got it, so you're not going to suddenly change. [/quote]
    Absolutely! You're still going to be the same StF we all know and love; that writer boy who burst onto the scene three years ago full of big ideas and wonderful stories. You're going to be just fine, StF.
  • There are degrees in dyspraxia as in all things: it makes some people really clumsy, others less so - depends on how severely you are affected. As they have only just diagnosed it in you, StF, it can't be that severe.
    By the time you get out into the real world of work, you will have got used to the software and you will be far better equipped to manage your dyslexia. And by the way, you are living proof that being dyslexic doesn't mean you can't be amazingly talented too. Employers recognise that these days.
    Your dyspraxia, although it's new to you and therefore worrying, is now recognised, and you'll learn what it is and how to live with it. By the time you get out there, you'll have more control over your life than you had when you first went up to uni - and you're doing okay there, aren't you?
    Just so you know - we're all jolly proud of you, StF!
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]Just so you know - we're all jolly proud of you, StF! [/quote]

Ditto. :)
  • What they all said - and don't panic, Mr Mannering! You'll find a way.
  • I'm delighted by this - from now on when my wife calls me clumsy I can tell her I've got dyspraxia!

Please don't think I'm making light of your condition, St F. Having read this thread I'm seriously wondering if I've got it. Clumsy, struggles to find the right word, illegible handwriting - that's me! I've reached the age of 53 without it causing me any major problems (if indeed it is dyspraxia) and I'm sure it's not going to hold you back.
  • To be honest genie you may well have, I think a lot of problems like this weren't even thought about 50 years ago. I think my son gets his from his dad, although I am the clumsy one.
  • So many of these types of conditions, that were once thought to be caused by something else, or just occur, are now being shown to be genetic conditions.
  • [quote=St Force]I'm slightly worried about working in the real world. How do you get by? [/quote]
    Excuse me?
    Four months have passed since you passed your driving test. Your perseverence conquered that challenge without any awareness of potential reasons for arduousness of the task.
    You have qualities of character that make most Talkbackers' proud to 'know' you.

Keep doing whatever it is you do to cope and the World will have no obstacle to progress.

Good Luck and believe in yourself.
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]I'm seriously wondering if I've got it[/quote] There are many online tests you can do. Try walking in a line with one foot in front of the other holding your arms out. If you wobble and fall then it is a sign of Dyspraxia.

I think Daniel Radcliffe has Dyspraxia and just look at him! Top of the world.

Thanks for the support everyone. It really put a smile on my face. :-)
  • Regarding the walking test - it is also used for other conditions that are vertigo related so be careful if you 'try this at home' not to draw the wrong conclusion.
  • edited January 2013
    One of my hips is not straight- my feet turn out, so every time I have to put one foot directly in front of the other I 'm pulling myself slightly off balance, so that test is very difficult for me too...
  • I often worry that labelling people can be a negative thing. How would you have faced the real world if you had not been diagnosed? My son suffers from dyslexia (as did my sister) so I do understand some of your difficulties but I think you are worrying a little un-necessarily. Everyone has some obstacle to overcome and in truth you will find a way of adjusting your life to cope. We all do. Knowing just gives you an advantage that you can now look into any ways that can help. Let it be a positive not a negative thing that you now know.

Good luck :)
  • A lot of young people are clumsy.

It's summat to do with growing and how they misjudge their personal space, because they've yet to get used to how they have grown.
  • edited January 2013
    [quote=dora]A lot of young people are clumsy. [/quote]

And clumsiness tends to return with advancing years. My over-60's gym class includes a lot of exercises designed to improve balance, and it's not until I started these that I realised what a fumbling old fart I'd become. :(

It can be addressed, though.