Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What I did today and a bit about me.

edited March 2014 in Writing
Today I wrote down plot points for my novel on notecards and laid them out in order of beginning, middle and end. It has helped a great deal, I can now see my story in front of me and how I want it to pan out.

Sorry I haven't said yet - I'm writing a romance. I grew up reading Mills & Boon and moved onto chick lit and authors like Jojo Moyes, Lucy Dillon and Ali Harris. Yes I've read Fifty Shades too. I find it hard to find romances set in today's society with serious underlines. It's not all fairy tales and happily ever afters. I want my novel to share a piece of me and my story. I feel I have lived a fair bit more than most women my age, having not had children and taken on most employment roles.

I believe everything happens for a reason and that I was meant to suffer the debt of today, meet many people and have bad relationships. This will only help me to grow more well rounded characters for my future stories. I've always wanted to be a writer but lacked the words to put onto paper. Now I can hopefully start this new journey.

Comments

• Good thinking, Batgirl. Being able to see the whole story in bitesize chunks makes it a lot easier to play with plot, theme, arcs, etc.

Also putting a part of yourself into your work is the best approach to writing :) Write the book you would want to read, not the one you think 'they' want.
  • Write the book you would want to read, not the one you think 'they' want.
    Definitely. If you don't love it you can't expect anyone else to.

btw, I write romance too. Although I like mine to be fun and a bit escapist, I want them to seem vaguely possible rather than complete fairytale.

• I write historical romance. :)

Agree completely about writing the book you want to read- try to do it any other way, and it won't work.

I realised that I was recalling emotional elements from my past during the first draft. I don't think we can avoid it.
  • edited March 2014
    Just wrote 1650 words in 2 hours. I find once I start it's hard to stop but I must sleep. If I didn't have a job I'd stay up all night writing. It's when I'm most productive.
  • ...I'd stay up all night writing. It's when I'm most productive.
    So I was right with the Batgirl reference! :D
  • Everyone has their preferred time. Some authors say they get up a t 5am to write before the world wakes up, but I'm with the world on that one!
    You can't help but put parts of yourself in your work - it comes from inside you, after all. Even when people write sci-fi or horror, there's still that human element that can't be discounted.
  • edited April 2014
    ...I'd stay up all night writing. It's when I'm most productive.
    So I was right with the Batgirl reference! :D
    Not far off :D

• Do you write in spandex and a mask? Because I...erm...don't. Honest guv!
  • Do you write in spandex and a mask? Because I...erm...don't. Honest guv!
    I prefer to write in my comfies actually, dressing gown, nightie, no bra, to restricting XD
  • Ahh, schlomping clothes - a writer's best friend :D
  • I like writing ~(sometimes) in a cafe - nightie and dressing gown might cause a bit of comment there!
  • I don't write in a bra, either, although I like to wear bib-tights when posting cycling-related blogs. Gets the adrenalin going.
  • Good evening. I would like to improve my English and then I am here.
  • I am currently also writing without a bra on. My son just asked what I was smiling at and i read him all the entires. Including mine. He says he needs counselling.
  • edited December 2014
    I'm sitting here in my dressing gown.unshaven, with a mouth like the bottom of a bird cage and a sauvignon blanc hangover. The information that you are cavorting bra-less and apparently shameless at the other end of the virtual universe is more than a 78 year old can take at this time on a Sunday morning.
  • Utsumi, perhaps you would like to start a new thread to introduce yourself so everyone can say hello properly.
    I am currently also writing without a bra on.
    Don't be too shocked by Liz, Utsumi.
    Start your own thread as Carol suggests and you'll get more normal welcome messages!
    Welcome Utsumi - start your own thread and tell us about yourself.

Start your own thread as Carol suggests and you'll get more normal welcome messages!
    claudia, I refer you to WE's former remark, to which I was responding:

I prefer to write in my comfies actually, dressing gown, nightie, no bra, to restricting XD
    claudia, I refer you to WE's former remark, to which I was responding:

• Ooo, that posted a record three times!
  • Ha ha - yes, Liz, I realised you were responding to former posts - but it struck me as very funny - especially as you we're responding to comments posted back in April, rather than our new member's fresh post. (Sorry if I didn't make my brand of humour clear.)
  • Aaah -I didn't even see Utsumi's comment I had to go back and look, although it must have been there.
  • I don't wear a bra when writing.
  • But when you're not writing you're in full tranny gear?
    It's all right - you can tell us, Stan.
  • Blushes....
  • Stan, I hope you still have that little black number in your closet we discussed once upon a year. That was one of my favourites.
  • I rather liked the pink glitter shoes but they weren't my size. :(
  • Oh....ah....hides behind sofa...