Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to Respond to Criticism with Dignity and Honour... or, you know, not...

edited September 2014 in - Writing Tales
This is popping up all over social media, so you've probably already seen it:

http://tidbits.com/article/14696

A perfect example of why it is always better to hold your tongue in response to any kind of review. It's all the more astonishing considering how mild the criticisms directed at the book actually were.

Comments

• Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
  • I just wasted a whole lot of time marveling.
  • It's like a car accident, isn't it? You know you shouldn't look, but you can't tear your eyes away from it.
  • edited September 2014
    There's a lot to read in all those posts, but I think I've got the jist and can sum them up -

You think my books isn't really great but that's because you're a meany head who didn't read it properly and actually it is really great and I can prove it to you by posting random extracts. I know you didn't like them much the first time, but they are great. I know because I wrote them.
  • At least he's trying new things - "FIRST and ONLY example of a MultiTouch Fiction novel created with iBooks Author - so I can understand your confusion." :-\"
  • I missed the part about it being a fiction novel. That makes a difference.
  • I'm wondering if he wrote more words there than in his book.
  • I'm wondering how someone who has written what sounds like a mystery about teddy bears in Venice can possibly have such a lack of humour.
  • Indeed, Liz. The teddy bear aspect also doesn't fit the author's apparent perception that it's a literary masterpiece, employing poetic lyricism to rival Keats, etc.
  • All that wasted effort he could have utilised writing another book.
  • That was utterly unbelievable. I started reading all the responses... then realised my life was passing me by.

Do you think maybe the author wasn't quite... was maybe a little... 'special'? I think he comes across as socially inept, or something like that. I can't find the words. It's past my bedtime so I can only produce gobbledegook.
  • C2C2
    edited September 2014
    ...gobbledegook, oh no, I hope you haven't picked up bad habits up in there, TN.

Some heated conversation in the posts, they've coiled him up and made him p-i-n-g.

• They've now shut him down.

I'm glad as I couldn't stop nipping over to the site for a peek! That was a deep hole he was digging for himself.
  • I had to take two Paracetamol.
  • edited September 2014
    Staggering. Narcissism comment was on the nail methinks.
  • I copied the thread into a word program and counted the words. Including all contributors it came to 34,000!