Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What do you feel when you are creating

edited August 2015 in - Writing Tales
I was wondering if any others are like me when they disappear into the writing world. I wondered how you feel when you are in the mood to write. Do you feel different. I feel alive like more vibrant, more how can l explain it like every nerve in me is tingling with anticipation. I notice small things. So l wondered do you close yourself off ? Or go somewhere noisy. I sit in a cafe sometimes, to watch people. But other times l write at night in the still quiet times.

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Hello Nanwytch, welcome. Do tell us something about yourself and your writing in the Welcome Writers thread.

When I'm writing everything feels right, but I do need quiet.
  • edited August 2015
    When I'm writing, I like silence and no interruptions. I can be completely organised in my head when I'm editing, and work things out in the blink of an eye that I never saw when writing. Very satisfying and tidy (which I'm not usually). I'm in my zone.

Do tell us more about yourself - we're very welcoming!
  • Hi Nantwych. There's different feelings for flow, grinding it out and editing. All satisfying in their own way.
  • I prefer there not to be anyone talking or any music with lyrics when I start writing as I find that distracting. Once I've got involved in my story I don't notice anything else much.
  • Hi NW, welcome.

I don't mind quiet TV, but no music as I need the rhythm in my head. In fact a certain amount of noise is good. But like PM I prefer quiet when starting out.
  • I need complete solitude so that I can enter the bubble of the world I've created. That way, as you say, Nanywytch, all my senses are sharp and I can experience everything in the same way as my characters.
  • I'm another one for quiet, but not necessarily silence. Any talking or singing seem to overpower the conversation in my mind.
  • I can write anywhere - if I'm in the 'zone' - there could be a marching band, someone playing some deep house full blast on a multi channel speaker system and a horde of naked playboy playmates dancing and I'd not notice.
  • Oh, datco, poor thing, you need new specs!