Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

WM Courses

edited January 2017 in - Resources
I'm considering signing up for one of the WM courses (specifically Polish your Writing Style) - and would love to hear what anyone who has done this, or any of the other WM courses, thinks of them

Comments

• A few years ago I did a poetry one and found it helpful.
  • I am doing the short story one - I have learned lots so far and the tutor has been really helpful. I just need to get my finger out and finish!
  • Thanks for the input :) I need something to try and motivate me a bit more - stop me being such a lazy writer :D
  • I did the short story course years ago but it didn't really help my main problem: confidence. And then they wanted to charge me more to send stories to them. I followed a workbook which was very basic and I have read books with more information in them. I'd prefer to have someone read my stories and tell me what needs to improve. But then it was years ago and my tutor did have family problems at the time
  • Thanks for the input :) I need something to try and motivate me a bit more - stop me being such a lazy writer :D

How about writing a list of ten things that happened in your life last week? Pick one then write 500 words about it.

Pick another and create a short story around it.

There you are. Get to it.

How about writing a list of ten things that happened in your life last week? Pick one then write 500 words about it.

Pick another and create a short story around it.

There you are. Get to it.
    I quite like that idea - although my life is so boring I'm not sure I would get much of a story out of it :D

• So pick news stories. It's a great idea, dora. Might try that myself!
  • *sighs* EEEEEE Dawneh chuck that's not the answer I was hoping for

• *sighs* EEEEEE Dawneh chuck that's not the answer I was hoping for

Haha sorry!! I swear I need I good kick start or something :)

• Hmmmmm. What about these ideas then?

----------------------------------------------------

Patsy Collins (Phots Moll on Talkback) lists oodles of free entry writing competitions. You can find links to her blogs/the comps on the blog updates thread. Try entering just one to start you off.

----------------------------------------------------

You may be interested to know about a free entry competition
    currently inviting entries which is a pet/animal themed competition with Malcolm Welshman as judge.

The brief is to write a story between 500-600 words
    based on either a pet or wild animal as long it's
    an integral part of the tale. The view-point is not to be from that animal.

One winner will receive a signed copy of Malcolm's paperback Pets Aplenty, and publication on Erewash Writers website. The winner and those shortlisted will be entered into a December draw where there is a free entry to EWG's 2018 Open Short Story Competition up for grabs.

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/2017-pets-aplenty-competition-with-malcolm-welshman.html

--------------------------------------------------

You can also find other comps listed on prizemagic.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------

Hah. If you can't find any ideas out of that lot, well, I dunno!

Have fun.