Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May 2017's Writing Magazines?

edited April 2017 in - WM and WN
Who's in May 2017's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 6th April so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Comments

• The post has duplicated so please post on this thread.
  • I
    won’t be in the shops until 6th April so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.
    Do subscriber copies get posted out earlier than "on sale" date? I'm recent subscriber and last two arrived after on sale date.
  • They should arrive a day or two before, but in the last year they've been getting worse and either arriving on the day, or for some subscribers a day or more later. It's very annoying.
  • Yeah. I go to the newsagent and 'preview' the shelf copies. Never then have a problem scrunching the pages of my subscriber copy which invariably arrives two days' later.
  • If any subscribers wanna spoil the surprise and let me know if I'm in there or not - feel free! :D
  • Couldn't see you but I've only had a very quick look.
  • Cheers, Miss B :)
  • I saw you, br! You're in.
  • Huzzah! Cheers, my lovely :)
  • Oh. Sorry. I will look again later.

Well done. (*)
  • Uh oh! The other thread's in use now too.
    I suppose it was inevitable.
  • Congrats, br - not that I've seen it yet as my subscriber copy hasn't arrived.
  • I've flagged the other thread and asked for them to be merged.

When this was posted on Sunday it did a double post, but the other one didn't disappear as it sometimes will in those situations.
  • They should arrive a day or two before, but in the last year they've been getting worse and either arriving on the day, or for some subscribers a day or more later. It's very annoying.
    Mine arrived today (3 March). Have not yet had a good look at it. Not sure I would recognise any names (real or forum) of anyone whose work is included.

Well done to those whose work has made it in.
  • If you follow the blog and virtual bookshelf threads you'll soon get to know who's who, Kramer.

• Steven Chapman here, Kramer if you want to ogle :P
  • Not in today's post. :(
  • This is why I cancelled...it was easier to pick it up in Smiths!
  • Not in today's post. :(
    Same here. Once again we have the situation of an inexplicable delay in processing subscribers' PREPAID copies. It makes a mockery of the Writing Magazine invitation: "Subscribe Now and Get it Early" (Pg 125 Mar 2017).

Of course, in the theme of life, two days is neither here nor there. Logic suggests that subscribers are processed last so that greater emphasis is afforded to major distributors whose purchasing power crushes our minuscule single-copy order. It is shameful that such an excellent magazine betrays itself by having not rectified this on-going problem.

• It's very frustrating. We're off in the van tomorrow, which means I won't see my copy until next week now.
  • Hi guys, I assure you we always process the subscriber copies first. We do always aim to get those copies to you before it hits newsstands. I know that hasn't always happened and I'll see if there's been any problem this month, but it's still not available anywhere else, until Thursday.
  • edited April 2017
    The trouble is Webbo, it's not an occasional blip which you'd expect, it's becoming every month.

I'd say now it's 3 out of 4 issues doesn't arrive before the day they appear in the shops, sometimes even the day after.

What changed? Four years ago the magazine turned up on a Tuesday every month. Now we can't even guarantee receiving it before the general public can buy it. :(
    I will endeavour to track you down in it. Have only just begun to work my way through it.
  • My copy has arrived- hurray.

Haven't had time to look through it yet.
  • There was an error in distribution which meant issues weren't going out as early as they used to, until we tracked it down, and that is supposed to have been addressed now.
  • I got mine in the post yesterday here in Northern Ireland - and my photo haiku is in there! :-O

marion
  • Thanks Webbo. Let's hope for continued improvement in delivery times.

Congratulations Seaview.
  • Perhaps they're printed here, Carol! :D
  • Congratulations, Seaview - look forward to seeing it.
  • Just read Steve's great article. Well done to him! :)
  • Well done Seaview, boredrobots and montholon!
  • Just arrived home to find my copy waiting for me. A cuppa while I have a quick look.
  • Just reading br's article. Have read montholon's letter.

Working my way through between cooking dinner.
  • Still waiting for mine. :(
  • Congrats to BR, Seaview & monotholon - well done!
  • Getting mine today, will enjoy a nice quiet lunch reading everyone's writing :)
  • Woo, got my copy now :) And already had a prompt telling off* from the lovely Sue Moorcroft because her name was spelt incorrectly :P

*Anyone who knows Sue knows I'm talking out my bum! She's lovely...her name WAS spelt wrong though :S
  • Mine arrived at last and I'm looking forward to starting my first browse through it this evening.
  • I'm still waiting for my copy to turn up - it's never been this late before :|
  • Too bad Dawn. Your subscription's expired. :))
  • Too bad Dawn. Your subscription's expired. :))
    Haha I hope not

=P~
  • Finally got to open my mag last night. I scanned the articles titles for Bored Robot's article - spotted a title and said to myself: bet that's his - and I was right!
    Great article BR! :)
    I will endeavour to track you down in it. Have only just begun to work my way through it.
    Tracked you down!

• I wondered who that lurking shadow belonged to!
  • Am wondering if I'm actually going to get May's mag in May.
  • I get a mention this month as a shortlister in the SF / Fantasy competition.
  • Well done danfango.

Has your copy arrived yet ana s?
  • Well done Dan!
  • Congratulations, Dan!
  • Not yet, Carol. I have complained and they say they will send another copy.