Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is there a way to clear TB messages?

edited May 2017 in Writing
The other day I happened to click on someone's name by accident. I was using TB from my phone screen where everything is smaller! Anyway, I was able to see messages that were sent from other TBers to that person, and I assume that they were meant to be private.

I just clicked on someone else's new profile picture to have a better look (!) - and again I was taken to messages.

I have just clicked on my own name which takes me to messages (not my inbox) and all I can see is 'X sent you a message'. I don't know if others can actually read those messages...

Anyway, it would be useful to know how to clear them. Maybe you should all have a look at what's visible on yours too!

Comments

• I know what's visible on mine and I know there is no privacy as far as Talkback is concerned, never has been.
  • The problem is when someone posts something on a TBer's 'wall'. That's not private and that's what anyone can see if you look at their profile. If the TBer hasn't set their preferences to alert them to wall postings they won't ever know.
  • Maybe it's worth reiterating for the newcomers then.

If you want to say something privately, peeps, you must use the Inbox!!!

• I would suggest if you want privacy avoid sending your messages via Talkback
  • PM is totally private. No problems with that. It's when people send a message and don't realise they have to press on 'Send PM' if they want it private.
  • And have you let them know, TN? Privately!
  • Yes, I have. I hope it's private!
  • Except maybe I should have informed the sender rather than the recipient...
  • OK. Hang on.
  • I always contact the sender when I spot a message that ought to be private.
  • Done, but I don't think that a lot can be done once it's been written, can it?
  • Probably not. But some of the ones I spot are clearly expecting a reply. The sender must think they're being ignored.
  • I hope PET is reading this because very often when I click on profiles she has left messages which she assumes are private – even apologising for contacting the recipient privately. They're not private.
  • PM is totally private. No problems with that. It's when people send a message and don't realise they have to press on 'Send PM' if they want it private.
    PMs are not totally private.

They may not be seen by other Talkback users but are not totally private.

• PM's can only be seen by Jonathan or moderators if they are sent directly to him/them.
  • PM's can only be seen by Jonathan or moderators if they are sent directly to him/them.

Pfffft

• I hope PET is reading this. . .
    PET reads everything, that's why I know so much about Jaffa Cakes, parcel receivers for small villages, ailments, international cruises, etc. But shamefully, I know frig all about private messages! Yes, I have sent a couple that I thought were private and now I know they're weren't. Fatal trap.
    Will exercise far more care.

• I've clicked my inbox, nothing in there, I delete all my messages, however, when I click my forum name I see the people I have sent messages to and had a reply. It is when I click any of the people in there I can see some of their conversations.
    No nothing is sacred here, as Dora has said, and I always send a message, PM.
    PS. I have better things to do than read them, just to say I'm not that nosy
    :)