Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Acknowledgements

edited June 2017 in Writing
Would it be acceptable to the acknowledged just to simple record the fact in your writings rather than seek permission?
Tagged:

Comments

• Not quite sure I understand what you mean here...
  • Hi, Tiny, lets say I see an image of a building by a particular architect - can I use this image in my article using an acknowledgement rather than seeking the architects permission...
    Thanks for your interest,
    oggie
  • Permission and acknowledgement. Nothing without the permission. Unless it's your image.
  • Baggy's right. You can't just assume that a person won't mind as they usually do! Also, payment might be expected.
  • edited June 2017
    Did the architect take the image? If the answer is yes, then you need their permission.

If the building is in a private location you not only would need the permission of the photographer, but the owner of the building too.

And pay any fee and provide the acknowledgement they require with the image.
  • LizLiz
    edited June 2017
    What building is in a private location? It is not stated in any law in this country that you have to ask anyone in a public place if you can take their photo. So, if I took a photo of you in the street, I don't have to ask to use that photo. You are in a public place and that's that. Think of all those scenes in the BBC News of sweet views and people walking through. So, video also - no need to ask permission. However, someone would have to ask permission to use that photo of you. Even you!

There are very few places you can't take a photo of - MI5 for instance.

I have a copy of the laws in this country as they apply to photographers. so I can take them out and show them to anyone who tells me I can't take a photo.
  • It isn't the taking of the photo that's the problem, it's the use.

You need, for instance, permission from the NT to use a photo taken on their land in a book etc. They are usually happy to do so but it's about doing the right thing - asking.
  • Oh, yes, but that is not a public space per se - you are on their land. If you are in the street, then that is different. From outside the land, if you took a photo, then you can use where and whenever you like. They can't do a thing about it, and if you aren't a photographer by profession there's no point in going to the trouble of asking. Something that is publicly owned, like a street, you can take whatever you want.
  • The trouble is, it's often not possible to appreciate the difference. If I was walking on open NT land (not a fee-paying venue) there would be no problem. But if I then walked on to the adjacent Weld land - just by passing through a gate - I would need to be careful. Also, that estate owns houses and I suspect they might try to demand a fee for a street scene - their houses, their street.

I'm not sure how successful a prosecution by the Weld Estate would be but their threat to demand a licence fee (more than a few hundred pounds) was sufficient in the example I gave.

If anyone is planning on taking specific photos I am sure their research would cover ownership. Random photos of streets etc. are unlikely to cause a problem - unless you can see someone's dirty washing...
  • On law, you do not 'own' a view. So, tbh, i think they wouldn't be able to ask for a fee. Yu don't even own your own image. I don't think they'd have a leg to stand on.
  • (But yes, you'd have to be more careful if taken on their land...)
  • Exactly. When I contacted the National Trust I was told I could use images of Corfe Castle taken from the village but would need permission if the photos were taken inside their boundary - beyond where you buy a ticket.

My recommendation is always to check.
  • To all those who offered advice and "don't do it" a big thank you. I now have the measure of "acknowledge v permission".
    Wonderful to have access to this hugely informed bunch of writers - thanks again.
    Oggie
  • Yep, this lot will even tell you why the answer is 42.
  • =))

And will probably be right, but the discussion will then morph into the merits of, say, cars versus motorbikes.
  • Yep, this lot will even tell you why the answer is 42.
    Excellent. I'm waiting . . .

• Because we're all at sixes and sevens.
  • Sorry, the answer is covered by copyright.