Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to lead a small workshop

edited June 2017 in Writing
As part of our village Art Festival, Mim and I are running a workshop in church.
It's only for an hour and a half so not too onerous, but on the other hand there's no time to faff about.
Mim says she will allow no more than eight, but I doubt we'll get even that many, so it's going to be a small group.

The idea (Mim's) is for them to write a poem or some prose inspired by an aspect of the church building.
It could be the whole thing or just a bit of a window.

Has anyone on TB done anything similar and is able to pass on some advice?

BTW There will be another group using the same inspirational prompts to draw or paint.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    I attended a session where we had to pick an item we could see in the room- that we would then go on to use in a story or poem.

So will they be somewhere where they can have five-ten minutes to look and decide? That makes the assumption that the people attending are very familiar with the building and windows- are they? If not they need at least ten minutes to look and choose.
  • You could take one item of your choosing. People are often surprised at how many ideas are generated by one item.
  • Carol, those who have signed up so far know the church, but there are 3 weeks to go.
    Perhaps we should have a couple of features in mind to suggest if people can't decide for themselves.
  • Might be a good idea Lizy.

When there's so much to choose from, it can be difficult to decide.